Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

mmw802 t1_j7g55xa wrote

literally. i am in a 2br (there is only one bathroom but it's large) in the heights that i pay 1800 for. even if i made enough to comfortably afford 4300/month for a rental i simply wouldn't on principal alone.

bodhipooh t1_j7h4cxq wrote

Every person that has ever lived and been faced with something they can't afford has probably uttered the same words. And, guess what... as people climb social circles in life and go on to make more and more money, they experience "lifestyle creep" and before you know it, that 80K car that seemed outrageously unnecessary is all of a sudden an accesible possibility, and those 5K rents are no longer ridiculous but within reach, and so and so on. Save the faux outrage and jealousy masquerading as principle... if you could easily afford it, you would likely pay it.

Teenageboy69 t1_j7i6hs4 wrote

I could afford this place and wouldn’t pay that. I also live in the heights, have a 3br, and pay $2500. Why would I want/need a place that’s almost twice as expensive and requires an elevator. Lifestyle creep is a real thing, and I’m guilty of it in ways, but sometimes it’s important to just put things in perspective and stay grounded.

−2

Direct_Ad18 t1_j7ih9ll wrote

People choose to live in all different places for all different reasons. That's great that you have a 3 bedroom in the heights for $2500. Someone else chooses to live downtown and pay more. You can't seriously sit here and say with a straight face the heights is a vastly different area than downtown and may prefer one neighborhood over the other. If you prefer the heights, that's great. Luckily you don't need to move into this apartment. Someone else might prefer the suburbs and get a whole house for that price.

By the way, this apartment is absurd to me too. But I live in a 1 bedroom in PH and my husband and I both work from home. Some would say that's insane and we should upgrade to a 2 bedroom elsewhere in JC. But we don't have a lot of stuff, love our neighborhood, love our apartment, and couldn't dream of living anywhere else. Literally everyone chooses where they live based on what they prioritize. Do I think this person is arrogant coming to this sub and thinking that someone taking over their lease should pay all these ridiculous fees? Absolutely. But I'm not going to pretend there isn't a market for people wanting to pay this rent. There wouldn't be dozens of brand new high-rises downtown at premium rents right now if there wasn't.