Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Lawless660071st t1_j82l167 wrote

Yes, they are wedding fireworks. I live in the Portside Towers and they go off during events on Fridays right outside my window.

bodhipooh t1_j8349eg wrote

Learn how to be a better dog owner? Dogs look to their leader for cues on how to react to just about everything and to be soothed and/or reassured in times of stress or perceived risk.

−7

MMJ23nj t1_j83vju0 wrote

The original post/complaint is silly… but this post is some next level Cesar Milan wannabe stupid

bodhipooh t1_j84nodv wrote

Wait… so you don’t think that dogs look to their owners / handlers for guidance on how to behave and how to react to stimuli? if so, that’s some next level stupidity on your part. But, then again, not at all surprising. The sheer amount of poorly trained and poorly behaved dogs in this city is pretty sad and disappointing.

−4

MMJ23nj t1_j84vzla wrote

Of course. But it’s not as simple as “be a better owner” and show them good cues. They need consistent positive reinforcement and training. And fireworks and thunder can be very tough with some dogs no matter how good the owner is.

The worst dog owners in this city are the ones that think they are so good at training they can let their dogs off leash wherever/whenever they wish.

bodhipooh t1_j88l51m wrote

>They need consistent positive reinforcement and training.

To me that is part of being a good and responsible dog owner.

>And fireworks and thunder can be very tough with some dogs no matter how good the owner is.

True, but it is also true that a good owner should be prepared to deal with these situations. If you know your dog is prone to anxiety attacks or fear due to loud, unexpected noises, this city is probably not the right place for them. And, just like parents learn to prepare and anticipate potential situations with babies/kids, an owner whose dog is prone to panic or anxiety should be proactive when going out and bring along whatever they may need, such as a thunder shirt/wrap, ear muffs, etc.

>The worst dog owners in this city are the ones that think they are so good at training they can let their dogs off leash wherever/whenever they wish.

100% agreed.

I think my flippant comment got us off to a bad start, but it seems to be that we probably think somewhat (or, very much) alike on some of this stuff.

−1

Miringanes t1_j848668 wrote

Gonna take my lumps too but I agree. We trained our pup in JC and whenever there were fireworks we gave him a ton of positive reinforcement. Fireworks don’t bother him now.

michael_scarn17 t1_j83tmts wrote

Would you tell a war vet with PTSD to just be a stronger person no one else is worried.

−9

bodhipooh t1_j84nxis wrote

What?!? Lmao. Are you equating your dog to a war vet with PTSD?

michael_scarn17 t1_j84uqng wrote

Not at all… but what about war vets who suffer PTSD. Do you not care about how they have to deal with these fireworks without notice.

−3

bodhipooh t1_j88khbt wrote

Dude, you are really stretching here... But, I will play along: I don't think a loud, densely populated city such as JC is a great place for any war vet suffering from serious PTSD prone to panic or anxiety attacks that can be triggered by loud or unexpected noises. I have a TON of friends who are war vets and those who came back with PTSD have mostly flocked to middle America areas and/or small towns. It's the better setting for them for a number of reasons.