Submitted by EliotHudson t3_10jil4q in jerseycity

I tried ordering something last night and it had NO spice! What are good spicy dishes from here (or elsewhere) so I don’t make the same dumb mistake?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_j5kpbe1 wrote

The spicy dishes I get from there are reasonably hot, the triple pepper chicken is way hot. Some places sure are variable though, Fortune makes a sometimes great mongolian chicken. Sometimes they put in enough of whatever sour paste makes it tasty, sometimes it's bland, total crapshoot. I've tried saying "strong flavor!!" when I order, no go.

At least King Szechuan is pretty authentic, I once got Kung Pao on the road that was 'brown sauce #1" with half a bottle of Red Hot tossed in, I swear it was orange.

Jahooodie t1_j5l87bp wrote

Fortune has always been a dud for me the few times I tried. Maybe this is why, I was always confused why people post about it being good on this sub... it was bland and adequate at best the couple times I tried.

Blecher_onthe_Hudson t1_j5llgxx wrote

I'd say excepting the Mongolian chicken, the best thing they make is fried wings. Another thing I like there, that is supposed to be bland, is roast pork and bean sprouts. It's a kind of childhood comfort food thing.

This kind of competition is what makes King Szechuan stand out as being pretty damn good.

bodhipooh t1_j5lm5nz wrote

Fortune is very hit or miss. I used to really like it (particularly when it was the dual Chinese/tex-mex operation) but over time started to get really crappy, bland combos. I finally gave up on them in November 2014. But, about a year ago, decided to give it another chance and they came through big time. Really flavorful and no issues. Tried it again a month or two later and great again. I am almost afraid to order again and break the spell.

pixel_of_moral_decay t1_j5mbfqw wrote

I sometimes feel this way about Taqueria Downtown. Really depends on the day in terms of how things are seasoned. Sometimes it's spot on, and really great. Other days it seems like they missed the mark. Wish I knew who was in the kitchen what days so I could decide when to order and when to avoid. Totally inconsistent.

nomad1987 t1_j5kv01f wrote

just order from grand sichuan or Chengdu - lot more authentic imo

Jersey-City-2468 t1_j5kz7zd wrote

Chengdu 1 is the only Chinese place in JC worth ordering from. Maybe Food King.

fandagan t1_j5lry5m wrote

Try anything from the double cooked section of the menu

Kowabungaaa1 t1_j5n5sn0 wrote

If you be lookin’ for some Nashville style spicy chicken, get yourself an order from TWINZ and ask for max spice.

Ibknight201 t1_j5y6atp wrote

Try pad Thai or drunken noodles from wasabi Thai (it's in Bayonne)

Catarmy1 t1_j61z273 wrote

Around here we think of everyone as a whole That why the food is like that we are all one

promisingyoungahole t1_j5mbo40 wrote

If you’re talking about the one in the heights, I got nasty food poisoning from there

−2