Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Unique-Public-8594 t1_j1s7rge wrote

I’m not an etymologist but geez, I don’t worry about ticks in winter at all.

individual_328 t1_j1s88ki wrote

Saturday's high was like 5F. It will be well below 30F tonight.

print_isnt_dead t1_j1sfb71 wrote

It's very unlikely, but if you're worried, spray some bug spray on the bottom of her pants.

My kids went to Audubon preschool and in 5 years of that, we had about two tick bites. Don't let the idea ruin enjoying the outdoors.

jp_jellyroll t1_j1soi3u wrote

How did you like the Audubon Preschool and which one did you enroll in (if you don't mind me asking)? We've started researching preschools for our daughter for 2024-2025 and Audubon caught our eye. We don't know anyone personally with kids in the program, so just curious!

Bawstahn123 t1_j1sdzke wrote

Broadly speaking, so long as it is below freezing, ticks will be dormant (they hide in leaf-litter, to avoid freezing to death).

If your daughter is going to go tromping through leaf-litter, or be out in the woods when it gets above freezing, just spray some insect repellent on her shoes and at the bottom-hem of her pants, and she should be fine

HeyaShinyObject t1_j1sezgt wrote

Get a repellent that uses picaridan, more effective than DEET against ticks.

Bawstahn123 t1_j1sqvry wrote

Is that the one that is poisonous to cats?

heresdevking t1_j1tgn93 wrote

Permethrin is toxic to cats before it dries. There are no studies showing picaridin is toxic to cat.

GrandmasBoy3 t1_j1uhbvo wrote

I think it's toxic to everyone, I treat it like poison when wet but the stuff works!

HeyaShinyObject t1_j1sr0iu wrote

Not to my knowledge, it's in many common brands, so it seems unlikely.

Osama_Bin_Latin t1_j1s8ato wrote

While ticks don’t “hibernate” like mammals, they do go dormant in the winter. The chances of a tick bite are slim to none in this weather

Terrible_Road_7079 t1_j1sci3a wrote

Gee thanks daddy

−7

Osama_Bin_Latin t1_j1uz355 wrote

I’m so sorry about the situation with your upbringing. Everyone deserves a proper childhood, and it’s devastating you didn’t receive one

[deleted] t1_j1uzp97 wrote

[removed]

Osama_Bin_Latin t1_j1v0rsy wrote

Please stop stalking me. It’s creepy, and won’t help the situation with your parents. Step outside your shitty apartment and live life.

[deleted] t1_j1v13ce wrote

[removed]

Osama_Bin_Latin t1_j1v1elu wrote

So you admit to being a stalker and a creep? God save you.

Terrible_Road_7079 t1_j1v1t0a wrote

Nah. You just showed me how stupid you were the other day when you thought helicopters existed before drones hot air balloons and then called me stupid for my grammar on Reddit😂 clearly I’m striking a nerve with you so imma keep doing it

CapintheHat t1_j1so4g2 wrote

My gfs dad alway says it has to be below 23 degrees for 5 hours. For ticks to kinda fuck off. Idk if it’s true but I believe him.

Proof-Variation7005 t1_j1wgndm wrote

That's a specific enough figure where I'd just trust it as fact. He's either right or has put in the work where we should just trust him.

Beccachicken t1_j1txm7y wrote

You should watch a few episodes of Little House on the Praire.

irishgypsy1960 t1_j1ugkno wrote

If it’s warm they’re out. I had my dog covered in them after a January walk in the woods.

engoof t1_j1slpva wrote

She’s probably going to be covered head to toe for the cold weather anyways, ticks are such a minor concern

funsk8mom t1_j1sna45 wrote

Just pulled one off the dog so they’re still out there

bb5199 t1_j1udlb5 wrote

Do a quick tick check if it's above freezing. It's going to be in the 50s later this week. Ticks take a while to really latch on and take your blood. If it's just on you, pull it off with tweezers and make sure you get the head if it's attached. If it's full of blood (full as a tick...) I would get the prescription stuff, but it takes a long time for the tick to get to that point, over 8 hours I'm sure.

therapeutic-distance t1_j1uquls wrote

Temp. has to remain below freezing 24/7 for like at least 4 days. Even then the ticks wake up during a warm spell and look to attach to a host.

goPACK17 t1_j1skun8 wrote

Well, seeing as how it was in the teens the past few days, I'd say you're safe

beachwhistles t1_j1tvfjj wrote

I’ve heard the same thing recently

forrealz42 t1_j1uqdun wrote

I always tuck my pants into my socks. I once pulled 30+ ticks off my dog on a warm day in February, so I'm wary anytime there's not deep snow cover.

Past-Adhesiveness150 t1_j1vagvr wrote

Depends where you are. No snow? Not likely, never heard of anyone getting a tick in the winter in MA or NH. Maybe on Martha's Vineyard if you hunt?

But out in the snow? I don't think so. I won't say impossible, but I don't think it'll happen. Spider maybe