Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

twohedwlf t1_iu7qwyq wrote

MILD american mustard. Because it's weak ass mustard for people who don't like mustard.

And wait until you find out about american hot dogs.

ThagAnderson t1_iu7segs wrote

Are our hotdogs different? I don't even like hotdogs TBH.

ThagAnderson t1_iu7tiem wrote

Oh, the first link is a corndog. Is that what is considered a hotdog outside the US?

DezPezInOz t1_iu8n6gu wrote

Yep. I grew up in NZ and can confirm that a "hotdog" in NZ can either mean corndog (aka "dagwood dog" in Australia) or hotdog.
Also, cotton candy is known as "candy floss".

ThagAnderson t1_iu8o6ld wrote

OK, so that's interesting. I'm gonna be honest, both are gross to me, but is there an etymology for why both are the same thing over there?

DezPezInOz t1_iu91jsh wrote

Probably due to the fact that they're often referred to as "Hotdog on a stick" (abbreviated to "hotdog") - which, to me at least, would make a bit more sense than "corndogs" (having no corn in the recipe whatsoever) if they were made with a hotdog sausage.... but they're not - so it's still a little peculiar

ThagAnderson t1_iu9axrl wrote

Hmm, are your "corn dogs" not made with corn meal?

twohedwlf t1_iual5m9 wrote

Some, but the classic is flour. Cornflour, cornbread etc has been becoming more common the last decade, but historically it wasn't unheard of but hasn't really been a thing here.

Probably because we only grow something like 1/20th per capita the amount of corn the US does.

guiltyofnothing t1_iu91aw5 wrote

I’ve heard candy floss here in America, but it’s mostly just called cotton candy.

DezPezInOz t1_iu92e1v wrote

Hmm interesting. I never realised it was sometimes called candy floss over there too. Kind of makes sense though because anything with "candy" in the name is most likely borrowed from the American language.

BTW, here in Australia it's called "fairy floss".

guiltyofnothing t1_iu92qap wrote

It’s definitely not common and a lot of people wouldn’t know what you’re talking about. Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure I’ve only seen it referred to as candy floss when it’s the shitty, prepackaged bagged stuff you buy at the grocery store.

JPMerola t1_iu7qshr wrote

"It's an US thang" is not an US thing. Hahaha

blobyclem t1_iu8a41x wrote

As french person I was always baffled at how French’s mustard has nothing to do with french mustard (Dijon). Until today when I learned the founder of the brand was named Robert Timothy French.

TimmehJ t1_iu7rpin wrote

I gots wholegrain mustard, Dijon and American mustard in the fridge (AU). I only use American mustard when I'm making greasy American hamburgers. It's not good for anything else.

travels_the_world OP t1_iu7s5pt wrote

Do you guys put beets in your burgers like the Kiwis? Tried one with beets at Burgerfuel a few days ago.

TimmehJ t1_iu7slq9 wrote

If it's local corner store burger it might have beetroot, but it's falling away nowadays and more American cheeseburger-style places are popping up everywhere. When I was a lad burgers here usually had a bit of shredded carrot on them as well.

Tramkrad t1_iu84363 wrote

There are other types of mustard that are yellow, so where these are available having one type of mustard called 'Yellow mustard' doesn't really make sense, hence 'American mustard'.

Not sure of the other mustards they have in NZ, but where I live (UK) the main mustard, aka English mustard, is also yellow (and hotter and better) so we'd typically also call the other one 'American mustard' (even if the bottle itself says 'Yellow mustard').

weaverlorelei t1_iu84c2j wrote

And, for what ever reason, "elephant garlic" is called American garlic in NZ.

gotemyes t1_iu88zwj wrote

Really? I live in NZ and this is the first time I've heard the term American garlic

Cmmnd0rClt t1_iu97u62 wrote

Cool Ranch chips are advertised as Cool American is regions.