Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Peeinyourcompost t1_j1yv3p2 wrote

I can explain this!

The structure of a strand of human hair is a lot like the structure of a steel bridge cable or a fiber optic cable, with a bundle of long fibers encased in an outer cuticle, which under a miscroscope looks sort of like a bunch of flat scales all pointing in the same direction. You can feel these scales if you rub a strand of hair one way, and then the other; the "wrong" way will feel a little squeakier. Split ends occur when that outer cuticle is damaged enough to expose the inner bundle and allow the fibers to spring free.

This particular pattern, which I have seen before, indicates that the cuticle is super worn away and fragile for a substantial length of the strand, which makes me think of a few possibilities: OP has been growing it out for a long time, regularly makes use of heat styling tools or tight hair ties, is involved in surfing/swimming/sports, or has used a color treatment that incorporates a lifting agent that chemically breaks the bonds between the cuticle scales to allow the treatment to penetrate the strand. All lightening agents and most permanent dyes do this, apart from plant-based dyes with no additives, such as pure henna lawsonia.

Tl;dr nope, it's not a bug leg!

dranaei t1_j1z421v wrote

You seem to know a lot about hair.

A_yondering t1_j1z5pmt wrote

Why or how do water sports damage the cuticle?

Peeinyourcompost t1_j1zbs5m wrote

A number of factors here! Chlorine and saltwater are huge contributors, and swimming tends to involve a lot of sun exposure, plus there's tangling and agitation.

More specifically, agitation of any animal hair fiber while wet means the cuticle scales have been softened by the water, so they've lifted up a little, and each strand is rubbing with its neighbors, scraping and damaging each other's lifted scales.

Incidentally, this mechanical agitation of strands against one another while they have lifted and softened cuticle scales is also how woolen clothing ends up felted if you throw it in the washing machine.

A_yondering t1_j24up1w wrote

As a sailor who loves to swim, I suppose I'm doomed to split ends! Thanks for the explanation.

radarksu t1_j22khff wrote

Water sports is what she does to your compost.

Pothole2112 t1_j22lmat wrote

Ok but how do you fix this? What kind of treatment or routine would you recommend for hair that has gotten this bad?

Peeinyourcompost t1_j23kwu9 wrote

Nothing can actually repair a damaged hair strand, since they are non-living cells once they leave the follicle, so the only actual fix once the cuticle is physically damaged is a trim with very sharp scissors. However, any product that coats the hair shaft in molecules that will fill in a little of that damaged surface and provide slip will help somewhat with tangling and visible dullness, such as repairing and deep conditioning hair treatments that contain lipids (oils and fats) and/or silicones (dimethicone, trimethicone, dimethiconol, etc.). Silicones can also temporarily sort of glue very small splits together until the next wash, although a split like this one is far beyond their powers.

The down side to silicones is that the way they coat the hair shaft can also keep moisture and lipids out, leading to dryer hair over time, so if you go that route, it's a good idea to use a harsher detergent like a clarifying shampoo once a week or so, followed by some kind of silicone-free lipid treatment, like a shea butter leave-in.

Oils and fats are great for prevention and conditioning! Sebum is a hair conditioner that your body manufactures, and any lipids with similar properties are helpful. You can apply them straight up as an overnight treatment, or use them as a light daily control and protection product, such as by rubbing a little almond oil or shea butter between your palms and finger-combing it through damp hair, although heads up that with hair as fine and straight as OP's it's easy to accidentally use too much and end up looking a bit greasy. Curly, kinky, and thick hair takes really well to heavier use of oils and fats; this is why the Black hair care aisle is shea butter heaven!

For immediate care after a color treatment that incorporates a lifting agent, especially lightening treatments, a protein treatment product like KeraFix can lead to better long-term hair quality by replacing some of the lost protein molecules and keeping the weakened hair from stretching as easily, which does a ton of damage.

And I'll stop there, since this comment is already very long.

Threspian t1_j24ds5a wrote

For the record, I absolutely swear by coconut oil. Literally the kind you buy in the grocery store. One jar is my moisturizing routine for a full year (bc that’s how long it takes to expire).

SunChipMan t1_j217xx6 wrote

wait, so is peeing in compost good?

Peeinyourcompost t1_j23l5pe wrote

Yes! It's free nitrogen! Everyone should be peeing in their compost! Unless you're taking certain kinds of medications, in which case, maybe don't add e.g. a bunch of lithium to your vegetable garden.

HuskyRacoon t1_j1ysnaw wrote

My cockateil has this exact same thing on his head

joalheagney t1_j21j42f wrote

Yup. I was thinking the same thing. At this point, it's no longer hair but a feather.

ToyKar t1_j21xghk wrote

Yeah looks like a littld cockatiel crest lol.love when they shed them

HuskyRacoon t1_j221ttm wrote

Me too, i have a collection. Some curtsey of my other asshole yoinking them out for him lol.

plamboo t1_j1zfpta wrote

Ugh I used to have suuuuper long hair and I miss finding the rare hair like this. Those were some of my favorites.

cdrchandler t1_j21mdye wrote

Did you also start with the highest one up and peel them off one by one until there were just wisps left, or was that just me? 👀

RedIcarus1 t1_j2071ey wrote

Pitiful attempt at growing feathers…

Norwester77 t1_j1ygpff wrote

You sure that’s not a down feather from your pillow/coat?

HuffleCatXxX t1_j204ek1 wrote

I used to pick at my split ends and loved coming across ones like these. It was always so gratifying.

SunChipMan t1_j2186xg wrote

I was certain that gratifying was the wrong word. Turns out it's spot on. TIL

litb4206 t1_j1ye18k wrote

I knew a guy who’d eat that shit

idontevenliftbrah t1_j206ptv wrote

I've lived more than 3 decades on earth and TIL what a split hair looks like

Follement t1_j21oxjv wrote

Please give us you haircare routine so we can avoid.

Medysus t1_j2045ys wrote

You beat my record by two.

blakeboii t1_j20a685 wrote

That’s a cockroach leg

Kezly t1_j1ygdcq wrote

Are they all like this?

santathe1 t1_j1z759a wrote

Your head must look like a Christmas tree.

ImoJenny t1_j207wnj wrote

You can't fool me. That is a feather and you, OP, are clearly molting.

volatileuprising72 t1_j208zb0 wrote

Split ends can be caused by a variety of factors, including heat styling, chemical treatments, and environmental damage.

sideofirish t1_j209i25 wrote

Take a supplement with biotin.

Wwwweeeeeeee t1_j20g5sp wrote

I highly recommend Australian 3 Minute miracle conditioner for that head of hair.

Elrigoo t1_j20pjbi wrote

You can clean your drain with that

I-seddit t1_j215x40 wrote

Congratulations, you're a fern.

Besunmin t1_j217k9y wrote

Literally Gabby Douglas

wombey12 t1_j2181kk wrote

OP is a human barbed wire factory

Banaanisade t1_j2184b7 wrote

I'm afraid you may be growing tendrils, sir/ma'am.

itsCS117 t1_j21gtyu wrote

now lets see your fingertips, do they look the same?

[deleted] t1_j22x85a wrote

well when you twist multiple hairs together to make a fake picture that’ll happen

TheBrownNoize t1_j1zeg1r wrote

No more empty self possession

Visions swept under the mat

It’s no New Year’s resolution

It’s more than that

Due_Signature_5497 t1_j1zewl7 wrote

But there’s only one “end”. Your hair split in 15 places.

−3