Submitted by TheSixtthDegree t3_11dsuaz in movies

This subreddit has become one of my favourite places for discussion, basically every question always ends up with some really great answers!

This time around, I'm wondering about those movies that you generally are not a fan of, but they just have that one thing about them that is completely excellent. It could be a great scene, a standout performance, a memorable moment- anything that makes you go "Well, that movie kinda sucked, but at least it had __________"

For example, as much as I think The Dark Tower was a pretty boring movie and a downright brutal adaptation, I think that Idris Elba makes a really good Roland, and watching McConaughey just shooting the shit as The Man in Black was also a lot of fun.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Gummy_yumyum t1_jaalnko wrote

Napoleon Dynamite was the most obnoxious, unfunny comedy I’ve ever seen, but Jon Heder is a good actor who went all out with his performance.

riegspsych325 t1_jaatywq wrote

my dad hates this movie but he did laugh at the Napoleon/Uncle Rico fight

kingzilch t1_jaamr8x wrote

Star Trek Generations was hot garbage in so many ways...but the destruction of the Enterprise and the saucer section's crash-landing was fantastic. That moment got applause on opening night, and deservedly so.

MDennis3 t1_jaaoa7k wrote

Natural Born Killers, Robert Downey Jr and Tommy Lee Jones during the prison break scene are awesome

MichaelMcCrudd t1_jaaotr1 wrote

Batman v Superman is terrible, but the warehouse scene was great.

Odd_Advance_6438 t1_jaaptld wrote

Black Adam wasn’t very good, but the scene where he kills the guys in the cave was fantastic. The music was ominous, it was brutal, and it was exactly what I wanted to see. If he kept up that portrayal, the Rock could’ve played a very menacing villain

riegspsych325 t1_jaatt8z wrote

The Super Mario Bros. has to be the biggest/worst film adaptation of any IP. A complete misfire that alienated audiences and insulted beloved fans of the Nintendo game and its titular characters. It had body horror moments in a movie that PG, and the best description I've read for Dennis Hopper's King Koopa is that "he looks like a pit boss at Biff Tannen's Pleasure Paradise".

But I'll be damned if I don't find it interesting. It's just something about the punky/neo-apacalypse look of "Dinohattan". I admit I like the some design choices, like it's grid-powered electric cars, jet boots, punk rock NY vibe. A part of me wonders how well the movie would have fared if they stripped anything away that could be pertained to being a part of the Super Mario IP and just made it its own movie

kingzilch t1_jabov0a wrote

It helps to know that the directors, Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel, had directed the British Max Headroom TV movie that fleshed out the cyberpunk world of the “virtual” music video host. The movie got re-edited against their wishes, but their aesthetic is hard to miss.

Unleashtheducks t1_jaawk9p wrote

Xanadu (1980) is pretty bad except for the music and the music is really good but the rest of the movie is so bad.

Dapper-Original8631 t1_jabi55m wrote

I'm probably gonna get a lot of shit for this but I genuinely dont like Blade Runner. The dialogue doesnt make ANY sense, the "big twist" in the director's cut somehow makes the movie less impactful, and the sex scene was definitely not okay. I am still absolutely gobsmacked by the set design in this movie. For a movie that came out in 1982 the scenery still holds up super well. Because theres no awful ass CGI it looks almost believable.

strangebutalsogood t1_jaamjq1 wrote

Infinity Pool was a massive, awkward, boring disappointment, but Mia Goth's performance was amazing. Especially the scene>! where she was on the hood of the car that was chasing Skarsgård. !<

sledgehammer_77 t1_jaaqc0y wrote

The Untouchables has a great cast and a great storyline.

Intelligent-Age2786 t1_jaasfis wrote

Licorice Pizza, Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman gave great performances.

HEHEHO2022 t1_jaayrqz wrote

what about the other great performances and all the other great stuff. what werent you feeling about the film?

Intelligent-Age2786 t1_jaaywli wrote

I know there’s the general consensus of that “it’s accurate for its time frame” but the overall pedophilic love story I was just not feeling.

HEHEHO2022 t1_jab47we wrote

>pedophilic love story
>
>as awkward as the "relationship" can be , in what way is a pedophilic?

Intelligent-Age2786 t1_jab4e3y wrote

She’s a 25 year old woman practically grooming a 15 year old boy. And the kiss at the end seals it. Like I’m cool if other people enjoy it, it’s just not the kinda thing I want to get into

HEHEHO2022 t1_jabv28l wrote

um...not sure what film you watched but no grooming was taking place with anyone let alone a prebubesent child

shifty808 t1_jaatxrn wrote

Armageddon...Ben Afffleck's hair plugs

Durso_Blint t1_jaaymox wrote

The movie Nope seemed really boring compared to most the films I have viewed. However, the scene where the monkey goes postal on the family really was the best/most memorable part of that film

FloridaFlamingoGirl t1_jadcrtr wrote

The Fabelmans felt like a bit of a drag to me in terms of plot, but the last five minutes were the best ending scene I've seen in a movie in years. I don't normally remember movie dialogue but I can recall most of what David Lynch's character said to Sammy. Such memorable scripting, and I can't unsee the whole "horizon in the middle" thing.

ProfessorGrayMatter t1_jaf3b7t wrote

I love the concept of Wes Craven's New Nightmare (the Nightmare on Elm Street actors playing themselves being haunted by an on-set poltergeist), but the execution was absolutely NOT there.