Submitted by of_kilter t3_yi15os in movies

I recently watched this absolute masterpiece, it’s easily one of my favorite movies of all time. However whenever i see others talk about it, they call it a comedy. And i just completely don’t understand that

It wasn’t funny at all to me, personally it was entirely a horror/drama. Every scene was unnervingly real and just utterly sickening to get through. It was enthralling, emotional and tragicz

This could all just be coming from a warped perception, as i was born long after it was made and don’t watch many movies from this time period. But it’s still just hard to see it as a “dark comedy”

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

QuintoBlanco t1_iuhawj2 wrote

I think the movie is very funny.

And also very sad.

Great comedy is often sad.

This is what Solondz had to say:
“It’s often hard for me to separate what I find so sad from what I find so funny. There’s a kind of poignancy for me…things that I am very moved by I find funny.”

The genius of the movie is that the characters often act in a ridiculous way and that ridiculous things happen to them, but they don't see it that way. That's the comedy.

For example: Joy breaks up with Andrew.

At first there is a misdirect. It seems like Andrew will react with quiet resignation.

But then he gets extremely angry. Which is sad, but also funny.

It's funny because Andrew doesn't understand that the gift he bought for Joy isn't romantic or considerate so taking back the gift is a ridiculous gesture.

It's even more funny because Joy pretends the gift is great, because she thinks Andrew is being considerate and understanding.

Then Andrew goes off and starts ranting.

The irony is that the sympathy we felt for him wasn't earned. Joy was right to break up with him, but she broke up with him for the wrong reasons.

The whole scene is set up like a classic joke.

There is a setup, a misdirect, our expectation is subverted, and there is a punchline.

The scene would be far less funny if the gift had been an expensive bracelet instead of an ashtray.

Or if Andrew had been good looking. Or if Joy had been less oblivious.

The scene were the pedophile is trying to rape a child is extremely disturbing, but also funny.

It's funny (and extremely uncomfortable) because we are forced to see things from the perspective of a child molester and there is a gap between how mundane his initial actions are, and the terrible reality of what he's trying to do.

Plus there is the irony that this man is a therapist.

The scene with the son isn't funny, and there is a specific reason for that: it's a scene in which the therapist has to deal with how depraved he is. he has to see himself for what he is, a monster.

[deleted] t1_iugrp8t wrote

Well Dark Comedy, there's a difference, not some typical feel-good comedy, lol.

of_kilter OP t1_iugsyik wrote

Yeah, i love dark comedy. I didn’t go into this expecting to feel good. It just wasn’t funny

−2

[deleted] t1_iugtssg wrote

I enjoyed it. Its the movie when the father talks to his crying kid right how he likes to fuck his friends in the ass? LOL.

Dysfunction_Al t1_iugx6h3 wrote

Then the kid asks him if he'll ever "fuck him", and he says no. And then it's just subverted as he says he'll jerk off instead after a long pause.

of_kilter OP t1_iugty5w wrote

Yeah, that was a deeply tragic scene that made me weep. It absolutely wasn’t funny

−4

[deleted] t1_iugu219 wrote

Yeah the movie is definition of dark comedy, use it as example if you wver wanna point out a dark comedy

of_kilter OP t1_iugu4qv wrote

But comedies should be funny

−1

[deleted] t1_iugucaf wrote

Hence its dark, you clearly dont like dark comedies

of_kilter OP t1_iugv0tq wrote

I love dark comedies.

You do get that something being dark doesn’t inherently make it funny right?

[deleted] t1_iuh6dz7 wrote

Sure I can agree its kinda rough and sorta emotional watch

notatallboydeuueaugh t1_iugx2nz wrote

That scene is hilarious. It can be tragic and hilarious at the same time. I think the film was going for that balance. I don’t see how you can’t see why that’s funny.

Ok_Actuator_5091 t1_iugs4kn wrote

I always found it to be so dark it was funny. The opening scene alone had me rolling. It has very dark moments it's true, but the characters are all so tragic it's funny.

HEHEHO2022 t1_iuhdlyu wrote

ok OP im going to say this .

Just because you or me or anyone else doesnt find a film funny doesnt mean it shouldnt be classified as a comedy. Its about intention.

Todd Solandz wrote this as a comedy and myself and may others laugh at it. So it IS a comedy.

Seeing it as a dark comedy is the least hard thing when it comes to this film. Todd takes really serious and dark topics and puts a comedic spin on them.

​

Sorry you didnt find it funny but set your personal bias aside to better understand how a film works.

of_kilter OP t1_iui7k2o wrote

Im not saying it wasn’t inteded as a comedy. Im just genuinely trying to understand what people find funny about it

HEHEHO2022 t1_iuidrwl wrote

oh i dunno the scenes which are clearly meant to be funny. Its fine not to fined something funny but if you watched this film but still couldnt tell why someone might find it funny then thats your problem not the films.

Sharaz___Jek t1_iugqb8n wrote

Because the film is filled with painfully funny sequences and characters, pushing line of what can or should be considered a comedy.

of_kilter OP t1_iugqkgw wrote

But what characters or sequences in particular were funny to you?

−6

Sharaz___Jek t1_iugreik wrote

Hoffman bemoaning his self-perception as a boring person while his psychiatrist struggles to stay awake, Harris' seduction technique, the following break-up exchange:

>"Is it someone else?"

>"No, it's you."

The film makes us squirm and cringe at the familiar of human behavior (selfishness, narcissism, ego) while gradually pushing situations and actions to the extreme.

Have you seen many black comedies?

of_kilter OP t1_iugtgvb wrote

I greatly enjoyed all the aspects you’re talking about, but I don’t see any comedic material in there

For me i just felt awful that the guy had a terrible therapist, that was pretty much it

And i love black comedy

Dysfunction_Al t1_iuguug6 wrote

Maybe you just don't like dry humor?

But to be fair, humor is subjective and maybe this one just isn't up your alley.

After_Hovercraft7822 t1_iugr41j wrote

I remember this movie. If memory serves, it’s technically a dark comedy. And while it’s subject matter is pretty dark, it’s presented in a comedic manner.

Valdamier t1_iugqtpn wrote

It's tragicomedy, much like Shakespeare's comedies are not particularly comedy. And seriously, the last line of the film is hilarious.

of_kilter OP t1_iugqwuk wrote

But… how? I only see it as a tragedy, there aren’t many comedic elements

−4

Valdamier t1_iugs61x wrote

Exactly

of_kilter OP t1_iugt07g wrote

So, you agree there isn’t anything comedic about the movie?

−1

Valdamier t1_iugwtqj wrote

I agree you can't find anything funny about it. Haven't seen the film in years so I don't recall a lot of it.

lingdingwhoopy t1_iui4c0m wrote

Because it's hilarious. It's black comedy, so obviously it's not gonna land with lots of people. But it is a comedy. Just a VERY dark and bleak one.

Todd Solondz is known for his pitch black comedy.

frightenedbabiespoo t1_iugx0yu wrote

Besides Todd's humor being quite dark, he also does it very dryly. I think that's the main element for you. Not saying you don't like any dry humor, but rather dry humor can't really be made to be LOL HAHA funny. It's not really necessary to think it's funny to enjoy it, I don't think. I can agree with you there definitely.

To_The_Past t1_iuhazkg wrote

Because it has constant jokes

Waste-Replacement232 t1_iujd89m wrote

It’s very dry and cruel humor. I love the movie, but there are some parts where I don’t “get” the joke because it’s so dry.

Parking_Mall_1384 t1_iujkjpf wrote

OP, can you give examples of dark comedies you find funny? Maybe then we can point to any parallels that can help you better understand why this film specifically is funny.

Ronaldo_Frumpalini t1_iuju44q wrote

Alright you sold me on it, where's that Trimark home video store

sgmctabnxjs t1_iuh4vsy wrote

It's the only unwanted DVD I've not taken to the charity shop.

I broke it up and threw it in the bin.

Nasty film.

−3