Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

JensonInterceptor t1_iuha8m8 wrote

I doubt her ability to put on a good Irish accent

tetoffens t1_iuhejsy wrote

Doesn't need one. She was Irish by ancestry but lived in London most of her life. Born there too.

Haus42 t1_iujdk2l wrote

That's too bad, I was imagining it would have been like when Rachel Riley impersonated Aisling Bea, which was, like, my turd favorite thing ever.

Kyadagum_Dulgadee t1_iuhg0yt wrote

I don't remember anyone having those concerns about Stephen Fry playing Oscar.

DieFichte t1_iuimghm wrote

I wouldn't even have concerns if Stephen Fry plays Wonder Woman.

Dentipres t1_iuieyss wrote

I think both Constance Lloyd and Oscar Wilde would have had what we now consider an educated English accent.

Porrick t1_iuijs0u wrote

You can say "upper-crusty toff", we don't take it personally. The derogatory term the Irish use for us is "West-Brit".

I went to a fancy boarding school in Ireland where we learned Latin instead of Irish, and where children were mocked for having an Irish accent. Which almost none of us did, despite almost all being Irish. Well - Anglo-Irish. My own family is technically indigenous but Protestant, but we're indistinguishable from the rest of the Anglo-Irish crowd anyway so it's a bit disingenuous to claim I'm not one of them.

Anyway, my point is there's a tiny minority class of Irish aristo gobshites who speak RP and live in big fancy houses in the country. Wilde would very likely have sounded like one of us.

Dentipres t1_iuiky1o wrote

Ah yeah we just go with "Seonín" in the west 😅

Porrick t1_iuil68k wrote

You know I'm less hurt by the meaning of that term than the fact that I had to look it up!

godisanelectricolive t1_iujmgws wrote

Wilde said his Irish accent was the first thing he forgot once he got to Oxford when he was 20. He might have once had some kind of educated Dublin accent, back when he was attending Trinity.

His mother Jane Elgee was an Irish nationalist despite being Anglo-Irish. She was very in Irish folklore and was part of the Young Ireland movement. She wrote under the name Speranza and once called for an Irish armed rebellion.

Kyadagum_Dulgadee t1_iuiggfm wrote

I would say. Have you ever heard really old Irish radio broadcasts? They sound English.

Pow67 t1_iuhc8pa wrote

I doubt she would’ve took the role if she couldn’t

−11

theoldkitbag t1_iuhcg5n wrote

99% of the history of Irish characters on film would disagree.