Submitted by Narrow_Pool1154 t3_z2zr5f in movies

I've seen a lot of horror movies but specifically looking for stuff that is slower and in general just creepy over scary.. like "it follows" "dead silence" "shutter" or "smile". Something that kinda shows up slowly and makes the hair on the back of your neck stick up instead of hide under the sheets kinda stuff I guess lol.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Noisy_Pip t1_ixj3e8j wrote

Have you seen The Witch? Definitely fits the bill. Also, Midsommar, which isn't really horror so much as a creepy study of grief.

Narrow_Pool1154 OP t1_ixj46n9 wrote

I havn't seen the witch but I browsed through it and thought it might be a bit boring since its set in the older days, also Midsommar was good but bizarre ending.

−8

Noisy_Pip t1_ixj55fv wrote

Ah, got it. I thought you were specifically looking for slower / slow burn movies. The Witch is definitely that, but if the period in which its set doesn't appeal, you would for sure find it boring. Personally, I loved it, right down to the archaic language. Midsommar was also a heavy favorite of mine, as was Hereditary. All three kind of hit that sweet spot of creepy for my tastes.

I'm going to catch Smile this weekend and hope it's right up that same alley!

Narrow_Pool1154 OP t1_ixj7vmy wrote

We think along the same line haha those are all good you will love smile. It has a bit of deeper meaning if you look for it but perfect for creeps, don't watch any trailers if you can!

Keksis_theBetrayed t1_ixjjo3j wrote

I'd argue that Smile's trailers do such a bad job of representing what the film is that seeing them doesn't really matter.

gooblobs t1_ixj498r wrote

The Blackcoat's Daughter
The House Of The Devil

These are two recent 'slow burn' horror movies that I enjoyed.

missyboopkins t1_ixjdhby wrote

Not sure it's really a horror, but The Blair Witch Project popped into my mind.

TheDadThatGrills t1_ixja713 wrote

Pulse & Cure by Kiyoshi Kurosawa have the atmosphere you're looking for.

loveisascam_ t1_ixjeabo wrote

Can’t believe nobody said Hereditary , amazingly creepy

RudigherJones t1_ixjfd6v wrote

Take Shelter

Pontypool

El espinazo del diablo

His House

El orfanato

orwll t1_ixjik5d wrote

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Twigling t1_ixjbllf wrote

The Mothman Prophecies

The Changeling (1980) - not to be confused with the totally unrelated movie 'Changeling' starring Angelina Jolie

The Woman in Black (1989) - British TV movie, not the later adaptation starring Daniel Radcliffe

LauraPalmersMom430 t1_ixjq9zt wrote

• Raw
  • Titane
  • The Blackcoat’s Daughter
  • Barbarian
  • Coherence
  • Get Out

Nobodycares2022 t1_ixj3v6z wrote

Get Out! or Us

Narrow_Pool1154 OP t1_ixj520b wrote

Seen of course Jordan Opeele is great if you havn't seen the new twilight zone he made check it out

Nobodycares2022 t1_ixj5g6w wrote

I've only seen 3 of his Movies. The two i mentioned and Nope. I didn't care for Nope at all. That's another 2 hrs I'll never get back again!

echopsocky t1_ixjbbxo wrote

Watched Nope for like 30 min and I thought this is boring I don't get it and stopped. Heard it never got any better.

−2

vicky3040 t1_ixjbvgm wrote

Upvote me

−6

Nobodycares2022 t1_ixjc4tw wrote

Rude so no

vicky3040 t1_ixjcj4d wrote

What do you mean

−6

Nobodycares2022 t1_ixjd0hw wrote

Why is it acceptable that your only comments are "done" & "upvote me," .you didn't contribute anything to the post or give me reason to upvote you.. get a clue.

CollectorBuyer t1_ixj6ce8 wrote

Pyewacket (2017) - About a teen who gets caught up in the moment and summons a witch.

Lamb (2021) - Couple adopts a lamb-human hybrid and you get that tense, slow-burn vibe for most of the movie. Mainly focuses on the interactions/family life of the child with the couple with an unsettling and foreboding atmosphere looming in the background.

[deleted] t1_ixj6ibv wrote

Did you ever see the Sinister movies? The second one wasn't as good as the first, but the original Sinister is probably one of the best horror movies of all time

Narrow_Pool1154 OP t1_ixj85wu wrote

I think I saw the first one it was good, kinda similar to the ring pretty disturbing though

bri-onicle t1_ixjautj wrote

Noroi might be a good watch for you, op.

Hannahv4321 t1_ixl5x7r wrote

Blair witch project is a good one if you like “found footage” films!

Jmmsw t1_ixlv0ot wrote

The more recent thriller “the little things” was exactly that… creepy and eerie. Great film

omarmercado8 t1_ixmyj7v wrote

I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House
Is extreme slow burn but worth it, just make sure to watch it with good sound system or headphones

adrianjfaria t1_ixkbyvg wrote

The Empty Man 100% one of the best “creepy” movies i’ve seen in recent memory. eerie and quite unique imo