Submitted by meem09 t3_z7paav in movies

It's that time of the year, so I need an avalanche of crappy Christmas movies to watch over the next month. It's hard to be specific, but I kind of think a Bad Christmas Movie (TM) is one of those 'you know it when you see it' propositions. Obviously, I appreciate any recommendations that aren't completely worthless; the best of these have something going for them. Be it the utterly brain-melting constitutional implications of Netflix's The Wedding Prince Series, the kind of charming performances in Christmas With You, or just the balls-to-the-walls camp of everything Princess Swap (and I just realized, I only mentioned Netflix films...).

So what are your Bad Christmas Movie recommendations?

PS: And why is every single one of these protagonists at least a half orphan? None of them are allowed to have mothers. What's up with that?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Local_Ad_530 t1_iy7lctj wrote

Jingle All The Way.

BTW, you can't be a half orphan. The true definition of an orphan is someone who has had a parent die, a double orphan has had both parents die. Not trying to be an AH here, just a piece of trivia I find interesting. So no offence intended.

thesmellofsound t1_iy7oasa wrote

So a half double orphan? I always thought orphan meant both parents have died. Having just checked it seems that's usually what it means, but not always.

meem09 OP t1_iy7ynbp wrote

That is interesting. I wasn't sure that was a word in English, tbh.

st6374 t1_iy7lifn wrote

Deck the Halls & Surviving Christmas. Only because one has Danny DeVito & Matthew Broderick in it. And other has Gandolfini in it.

Thescottishguy87 t1_iy7ki8m wrote

Not actually a bad movie but Bad Santa is a christmas movie i always watch

BoardGameBologna t1_iy8gy7k wrote

I was honestly surprised at how funny Bad Santa 2 was as well.

That's a series as a whole that is way better than it has any right to be!

Wiger_King t1_iy7lm3g wrote

Each year my partner and I watch a Christmas movie each day for the month leading up to Christmas.

This year we found Pottersville. WOW!!! What a find! This might be the only Christmas movie ever about a small town shop keeper that finds his wife having an affair as a furry and then in an attempt to win her back dresses up as a gorilla and then gets seen walking around drunk and mistaken for a Bigfoot which reinvigorates the small town with tourism and he has to continue the ruse while an Australian Bigfoot hunter comes to hunt him. Oh and there is a character that speaks mainly in Jaws quotes. It is fucking nuts and an insanely over qualified cast.

lmt99 t1_iy7mx8u wrote

Wow, that sounds insane! Can't wait to check it out.

meem09 OP t1_iy7yxip wrote

Well obviously, that plot is a dime a dozen in movies in general, but to put it into a Christmas movie seems to be a major innovation!

Kidding aside, that sounds like a hell of a film. I'll have to check out where I can watch that.

SJ966 t1_iy7kpsn wrote

A Madea Christmas

Many-Outside-7594 t1_iy86jai wrote

I like the one where a poor working class girl meets the heir to some random European monarchy and teaches him the true meaning of Christmas.

meem09 OP t1_iy87wxh wrote

The one where it's a really sad time for her, because her dead mother loved Christmas or the one where it's a really sad time for him, because his dead mother loved Christmas?

prblydumass t1_iy95egs wrote

I recenty saw one where it was his dead father who loved Christmas. Massive plot twist!

lmt99 t1_iy7n9lv wrote

One of our favorite bad Christmas movies is Santa Jaws. It's so campy and delightfully bad, quite fun. One of our favorites that's not to be missed is Pee Wee Herman's Very Special Christmas Special! The sheer number of star cameos is a joy, including Laurence Fishburne.

FloppedYaYa t1_iy7onug wrote

Home Alone 2

Let's be honest, it's total garbage, but has some hilarious moments and helped by retaining the same cast as the original

joescott2176 t1_iy7qdnh wrote

I think Kirk Cameron put out some terrible, awful christmas movie a few years back.

vosha0 t1_iy8ihbw wrote

The Grinch with Jim Carrey. Annoying film but still kind of likeable for Christmas.

BodhiK187 t1_iy91c8j wrote

Beat Street (1984) - The Christmas party at Kool Herc's club was dope.

Appropriate_North893 t1_iy980wr wrote

It's one of the Hallmark ones starring Vanessa Hudgens. It's called The Knight Before Christmas (2019).

It's terrible, and trite, and silly, and way too wholesome...but we've watched it now three years in a row...I have no idea why we enjoy it. I admit my own crush on Hudgens might be one of my main reasons, coupled with a knight time travelling quotient...

alkalin43 t1_iy9bo4y wrote

The Night Before

Watched it last year and it’s not terrible but man some of the jokes don’t land. Would watch again!

exhaustednihilist420 t1_iyb0huy wrote

The Ref. Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey, Judy Davis, JK Simmons. If you like Learys shtick you'll like this