Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

KingRobertBeratheon t1_ixct056 wrote

I just couldn't get into Fargo, and I count most of the Coen brothers' other movies among my favorites. I am old enough that I was already grown when it came out, and it was all anyone could talk about at the time.

Another one is Lost in Translation... I'm a big Bill Murray fan, and I generally enjoy Scarlett Johanasson's work, but I just couldn't get into that one either

−1

ViolentAmbassador t1_ixd81fd wrote

It's funny, I feel like everyone has one of these for the Coen brothers, even their biggest fans. Just in the first 25 comments in this thread we have The Big Lebowski, Fargo, and O Brother Where Art Thou (O Brother would be the one for me).

EDIT: And now there's a No Country for Old Men mention. That's almost a quarter of their filmography in this thread.

KingRobertBeratheon t1_ixdabpx wrote

And see I absolutely love O Brother, so I get that some people will like things that others don't... but that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla, 'cause everyone has their own taste

ViolentAmbassador t1_ixdcjq6 wrote

Exactly, and I think that's what is so great about the Coens. I'd rather they make these idiosyncratic movies that I sometimes love but sometimes don't vibe with than make blander stuff that's always okay but never great.

thedelinquents t1_ixg7cf7 wrote

I found miller's crossing to be abit of a drag to get through, just found it abit boring

k0rnbr34d t1_ixgse3n wrote

I agree with Lost in Translation, but Fargo? It's so good! To each their own. I have to admit, I didn't love No Country for Old Men, but many people swear by it.

KingRobertBeratheon t1_ixh6ldh wrote

Admittedly, I have not seen Fargo since back when it first came out, so it may deserve a rewatch see if my opinion has changed, but at the time it just did not do anything for me.

mranimal2 OP t1_ixct74r wrote

I like Lost in Translation but I'll admit I saw Fargo at a party and we all thought it was just alright