Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Scat_fiend t1_j1ysdsf wrote

So Rat Race then.

RedLightsBurning75 t1_j1yvoj1 wrote

I love this movie. It’s so silly but a great ensemble cast. They don’t make movies like this anymore. I think Rat Race was the end or the beginning of the end of the “silly” mainstream comedy before the rise of raunchy comedies taking over in popularity again.

PointOfFingers t1_j1yuebi wrote

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines and the Great Race both came out within a year or two of Mad Mad World and were all epic race comedies with all star casts. Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk in Great Race were incredible villains in a family film.

Cannonball Run was pretty funny and was a later entry in this sub genre. Burt Reynolds, Farrah Fawcett, Dom Deliuse, Jackie Chan, Roger Moore, Rizzo from Grease, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jnr. Jack Elam as a crazy doctor was amazing.

meraero2 t1_j1ythpw wrote

“The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming” has a very similar sensibility. Great cast, but not as many of them. Same kind of long build up to the frantic end.

drewcifer27 t1_j1yw4jb wrote

I still quote this movie so many years later and no one ever knows what I’m talking about.

Egermency, everyone to get from street

The_Lone_Apple t1_j1ysmzv wrote

This is a movie I've seen a dozen times and it still makes me bust out laughing. Jonathan Winters steals every scene he's in. Ethel Merman is incredible. The one sequence with Jim Backus is just top notch. Not to forget that Spencer Tracy is just great from beginning to end.

Pubics_Cube t1_j1ywggr wrote

The Gods Must be Crazy I&II are largely forgotten classics that have a similar buildup & style. I die laughing watching the first one especially.

tomen t1_j1yt2kl wrote

Rat Race is extremely similar. Have no idea if it has held up but 17 year old me thought it was hilarious

Pria_Pus t1_j1ytnbs wrote

i watched it a few years ago and its still pretty funny and wholesome.

ztreHdrahciR t1_j1ysieb wrote

Rat race is an ersatz version

simonf75 t1_j1yvi4r wrote

Rat Race is essentially a remake of it, and I think also pretty damn funny

server_busy t1_j1ywknr wrote

"Yours, Mine and Ours" - 1968

Henry Fonda, Lucille Ball

44local44 t1_j1yslsc wrote

Not sure maybe the great race but everyone should watch it's a mad mad world. One of the funniest movies

Philcycles84 t1_j1ywxvi wrote

Rat Race is essentially a modern retelling of it. Its absolutely hilarious

balsac1 t1_j1ywmz0 wrote

‘Scavenger hunt’ is right up there and should be your next watch

Pretend-Ad-1186 t1_j1ywrsp wrote

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines and The Great Race?

pixelburger t1_j1z0bxa wrote

Steven Spielberg’s 1941

TheDeadlySquid t1_j1z0hqf wrote

Please watch Kubrick’s, “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bomb”

MoFoHo72 t1_j1z0nlh wrote

Please Criterion, release It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World on UHD-Blu-ray. That insanely wide aspect ratio needs it.

ObscureReferenceMan t1_j1z1lg8 wrote

I've called this genre "Madcap Comedies". A few favorites I can remember:

• What's Up, Doc?
  • Foul Play
  • The In-laws
  • The Frisco Kid
  • Stir Crazy (and most Gene Wilder / Richard Prior films)

CSoup_127 t1_j1z5e1t wrote

The Out-of-Towners (1970)

ChangeUpstairs3352 t1_j1ys956 wrote

Is this movie somehow related to The Matt, Matt, Matt World of The Leftovers?

roflthopter t1_j1yyq56 wrote

Rat Race with John Cleese is actually a more modern remake (early 2000s so dated now lol). Also hilarious with an amazing cast and nonstop jokes

mindtropy t1_j1z722l wrote

The Cannonball Run series, more or less… part 2 was more light hearted than the first one.