Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

22Seres t1_j1twvwr wrote

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery already seems to be doing the trick to some.

Slartibartfast39 t1_j1tx1t5 wrote

Really? Why? I haven't seen it yet.

RyzenRaider t1_j1tysv8 wrote

Haven't seen the sequel, but in the first film, the hero is the child of an illegal immigrant, the American family is shallow and ignorant (no one knows where Marta is from), one of the kids is identified as an alt-right troll and is mocked for it. Don Johnson's character seems to be a Trump supporter/sympathizer, justifying Trump's border cage policies. Not to mention, the illegal immigrant wins everything in the will and leaves the family with nothing... That could spark some BS great replacement discussion lol.

Having said that, Toni Collette's character comes across as a democrat liberal, who is only interested in virtue signalling about refugee rights, even though she clearly has no interest in Marta, has no original thoughts of her own, is a shallow influencer and is a leech on the rest of the family's finances. So it's not a black-and-white "Conservatives bad!" movie.

But this works in your favour. Because if it does annoy them, you can then counter argue that the film also opposes centralist liberals, and then it's harder for them to justify their dislike of the movie. Just adds a little trolling flavour.

−2

Mactan t1_j1tylob wrote

Birdcage

Fiery_Hand t1_j1txy52 wrote

Maybe not the latest ones, but Django, Inglorious Basterds, American History X.

HomerThompson15 t1_j1tyf3t wrote

You should cut off contact with your parents whenever you’re able to do so.

darthmom t1_j1tyz84 wrote

Don't Look Up.

bellchilton t1_j1tzd12 wrote

I'm really zeroing in on the word "subtly" and as much as I love some of the movies that are being commonly suggested I wouldn't use the word subtle to describe any of them. Get Out skewers a different (more patronizing) type of racism than what OPs hick in-laws portray.

I'm trying to think of a movie that would piss them off but do it in such a way that they're either unable to articulate or embarrassed/ashamed to admit if they have any self awareness. Something that just barely skims over the top of their head, that they misinterpret, or that they have to go out on a limb to criticize if that makes sense.

It's probably not the best answer but the one I'd be most curious to see their reaction to would be Blazing Saddles. FWIW, Blazing Saddles isn't subtle but it's razor sharp satire and that really scrambles the brains of small minded folks like OPs in-laws.

B33f-Supreme t1_j1u1h3x wrote

Jojo rabbit

Guiermo del toros Pinocchio

Hyjynx75 t1_j1u2d7u wrote

Broke Back Mountain of course. Cowboys are cool!

phantalien t1_j1u5cte wrote

Priscilla Queen Of The Desert

aShittierShitTier4u t1_j1tx4bh wrote

Trumbo, Russ Meyer's Blacksnake, All the president's men

[deleted] OP t1_j1u24w5 wrote

[deleted]

−1

HomerThompson15 t1_j1ua8yn wrote

Lol you’re asking how to piss people off and you’re surprised by the negativity?