Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

bakins711 t1_itqq490 wrote

Is this a real thing or like the “watch out for drugs in Halloween candy” thing?

bookworm21765 t1_itqxmoa wrote

No one can use the funds on the card without the pin#. If the pin is scratched off do not buy the card.

Iamjacksgoldlungs t1_itr0yfg wrote

You can buy scratch off stickers on Amazon. OP stated it was covered up

trahloc t1_itrmjka wrote

If it's covered up by a sticker vs the scratch off material that'd be an indication it's been uncovered. They mention "cvs sticker" and every gift card I've ever used had the same material on it as a lottery scratcher. If those could be easily put back on it would destroy the entire gambling scratcher industry.

Iamjacksgoldlungs t1_itrt03m wrote

Lottery tickets are heavily monitored for fraud and locked up in stores. Gift cards are not.

The scratch off on a ticket isn't a sticker like it is with cards either

trahloc t1_itryk0g wrote

Huh that must be a change then to save costs. It's been a fair minute since I sold them so they must have changed in the last decade or two.

Cash_Visible t1_itrpc0m wrote

I will say on some gift cards I've bought before the scratch off material is on a piece of plastic? or some material unlike actual scratch tickets. I have definitely pulled off the scratch portion on gift cards before. Sometimes I've tried to see if I can get it off without having to find a penny. However, if I recall I don't think you can even access the scratch off portion without tampering with the paper holder the card is in? but I forget.

Regardless I think one should see some signs of tampering if the scratch off was removed in some fashion.

Devtunes t1_itsgqju wrote

It happened to me, vanilla gift card. Unopened, original packaging intact, drained of funds. I have no idea how they could do it but someone figured it out.