Submitted by Mission_Fox6790 t3_122owph in newhaven

Looking to take advantage of the weather and take myself on a date outside of town today. I’m new to CT, so would love any suggestions within ~30 mins for nice destinations to walk around, grab a meal solo, see some ocean/sound, etc. Cute small towns, quiet boardwalk areas, etc. Thanks in advance! <3

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Otter_otter_otter8 t1_jdr2yw4 wrote

My favorite solo getaway spot is visiting RJ Julia in Madison! It’s the cutest indie bookstore about a 30 min drive away from New Haven. They have a cafe in the back of the store with great lunch and coffee options. It’s also a 2min drive from the store to a small uncrowded boardwalk area where you can chill out and see the water. I also like to stop at Blazing Fresh Donuts in Guildford on the drive home - best donuts I’ve ever had, and they make them all fresh.

Mission_Fox6790 OP t1_jdr55n7 wrote

That sounds perfect! Random question but do you know of hammonassett is charging for entry right now? I see it’s right nearby but I don’t have my CT plates yet 🥲

DaveBrz t1_jds287e wrote

I don’t think they charge until Memorial Day.

twoshovels t1_jdtgpmg wrote

Can confirm this. I grew up in Madison. It’s a nice town

WindfallProphet t1_je2seuj wrote

*East Guilford

Guilford doesn't recognize your town's secession.

twoshovels t1_je30vkn wrote

Dam it!! All this time and I been telling everyone I’m from “Madison “

Blicero1 t1_jdru7w9 wrote

Closer to home, but hiking up East Rock to the monument for a good view of the city is fun.

kvlt22 t1_jdsq7gi wrote

Or West Rock, but don’t because I like my peace and quiet up here.

m11cb t1_jdr4ir8 wrote

Mystic CT is perfect for a day trip.

beaveristired t1_jdr856q wrote

Guilford, Madison, Old Saybrook, Niantic / East Lyme have cute downtowns and beaches. Niantic has The Book Barn, a large used book store with multiple buildings / locations and a boardwalk. Madison has RJ Julia bookstore. Many town beaches are free during the off-season and I believe Hammonasset is free for everyone right now including non-residents. Seaside State Park in Waterford is cool, it’s an old sanatorium right on the water.

ManyYam8275 t1_jdr2ly5 wrote

Bit further off for you but harkness state park in waterford is a jewel to be discovered in ct. Absolutely georgeous.

MochaUnicorn369 t1_jdreq8c wrote

Walk at Hammonasset then head to Essex, dine at the Gris.

MasterTheDreamer t1_jdrb6se wrote

Milford center for great restaurants and lovely little shops. Silver Sands State Park for the beach and boardwalk!

andrewbwilliams t1_jdrgjqv wrote

Guilford is a great place to explore alone. Check out the shops and restaurants along the green and then head down to the town beach.

notablyunfamous t1_jdrwjbx wrote

Guilford green. Beautiful and nice restaurants/bars. Walk down to the docks is nice.