Submitted by throwaway98745654123 t3_zmh3va in newhaven

Hey all! Moving to New Haven for a job soon, with part of the time at the VA. Haven't decided where to live yet (downtown?) but want to know if it's possible and safe to be able to bike to work everyday. Other posts here say the Hill isn't best but is that an issue if you're just biking through the area?

It is a day job, though there may be some days I'll be biking home later in the evening, if that makes any difference.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

NoHopeOnlyDeath t1_j0b8cmz wrote

It's bike-able (in weather that sane people would ride bikes in), but the roads aren't what I would call "bike friendly". There aren't consistent bike lanes, and some blind corners and narrow spots where you're gonna get pretty close to traffic. Biking part of the way to a bus stop and then taking the bus that goes straight to the Building 2 entrance will be your best bet.

Temporary-Car7981 t1_j0c2sha wrote

The Yale Shuttle buses are free to all riders, and no ID is necessary. Ride your bike to a Yale bus stop (or just ride on your own time) and take the free 24hr shuttle to the hospital.

Catlady_1001 t1_j0c0wb2 wrote

If you are a YNHH affiliate, you can use the hospital VA shuttle-it runs regularly from ynhh(med campus/york st) to the VA

HartfordResident t1_j0chbg9 wrote

Totally doable if you are used to urban biking and traffic. I know people who ride that route daily. There are some side streets that might be more pleasant for biking on than the big ones

Observant_Neighbor t1_j0bdx5p wrote

It is reasonable to bike in NHV to/from downtown. Usual reminders apply - the majority of drivers are not bike friendly or aware. You will be on the defense. NHV has done a great job with bike lines, including counterflow bike lanes.

BIking to the WH VA is certainly doable but far less bike friendly from downtown NHV. Not many arteries between WH and NHV that aren't choked with cars. Most have very little shoulder and zero bike lanes en route.

Extreme-Cupcake5929 t1_j0b51ve wrote

That’s a trek I’d just take the bus from the green it’s free until the end of March and you can put your bike on the front of the bus . You can’t exactly ride a bike on icy roads or in the snow.

Difficult_Ad5098 t1_j0gdcll wrote

I ride 6 miles round trip everyday through downtown for my commute. It’s very doable within downtown NH, once you start heading towards WH it gets significantly less bike friendly. I take the Farmington for a good chunk and that’s all good. Roads downtown aren’t bad either but like others have noted you will be on the defense, just always be aware of your surroundings and take up the lane if you can. If you don’t feel comfortable with the traffic, just take the sidewalk.

Once you start hitting WH you’ll notice drivers being even less cognizant of their surroundings and speeding and what not. As others said, I would avoid the blvd and any busy road. You really can’t trust drivers in that area. ALWAYS bring lights and wear Hi vis gear, especially now that it’s getting dark around 4 pm.

I think the Bike + bus/train might be your best combo as others have noted. May as well do the bus over the train since it’s free.

Good luck and safe riding!

elmcityboy t1_j0c0sap wrote

it's definitely possible! i bike through downtown and the hill pretty regularly and often cross the blvd into west haven using rte 1 -- these are among the busiest roads in the area, but i have never had an issue using them. you can also ride through westville and take marginal drive into west haven to avoid rte 1 -- that might be the safest and easiest bike route available. i would definitely avoid riding on the boulevard itself.

that being said, there are alternatives available to biking -- you can take the bus from downtown or even the ride metro north to west haven station and bike from there.

Whydoyouhatefreedom t1_j0e0081 wrote

In all honesty it’s not safe to be biking that direction. Especially when it’s dark.

Ecofre-33919 t1_j0ellv0 wrote

WH VA is in west haven on top of a big hill. So if you are riding up that hill to get to work - you’ll be sweaty all day. If you have accommodations somewhere on top of that hill / plateau - you’ll be fine. Depending on where jn new haven the commute would not be too bad - but you will be riding on some very busy streets. Plus you will want to vary your root because some of the areas have crime and you won’t want everyone to know you are like clock work at a certain place every day. There is snow and ice in the winter and rain all four seasons - i wouldn’t want to do it.

I’d say scout out the area and plan your root and be sure that if you are going to be climbing up hills you have access to a shower or that you won’t mind wearing those clothes all day. You’ll need good layering for winter riding.

throwaway98745654123 OP t1_j0dz46u wrote

Thank you so much everyone! This is all super helpful information.

Sasha64- t1_j0phi93 wrote

If you live near Yale Hospital they have a shuttle going back and forth to the VA I think until 6:00pm. I noticed one of the shuttle buses have a bike rack in front. I’ve seen a employee from the VA Hospital using the bike rack and Yale transportation.