Submitted by Code_to_Design t3_yeyxyh in newjersey

Hello everyone! I'm coming from Seattle to visit my gf and I'll be renting a car through turo and wondering if the weather from Nov 20-27 will be snowy? Since I'm in Seattle, we don't experience much snow and I tend to get bit worried. Last road trip I drove by Montana and almost hit a moose (moose came out of nowhere) and seemed to be extra precocious now, Anyways, planning on driving to border of PA/NJ Delaware, DC and then back to Scranton PA. If you guys have any experience in these states and the corresponding weather during our trek please advice! Probably get a hybrid car with good mpg. If weather is sketchy , will get a SUV. Thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chaiteoir t1_iu0szrv wrote

Snow would be very unusual in New Jersey then... it would be pretty unusual even in Scranton around Thanksgiving. Always worth checking weather... but if your travel is going to be disrupted by it, probably going to be rain and not snow.

PickleLS10 t1_iu0uz5x wrote

I actually switched to my winter tires on my car last weekend as November can be very unpredictable here in NJ. We could have 80 degree days or snow. Most recent storms I recall-

November 2012 after hurricane Sandy November 2018- This storm caught the state by surprise and causes a lot of traffic jams and accidents because road crews did not prep before the storm.

kltbird182 t1_iu1aau1 wrote

Any time from late October until early April isn't totally safe... It's unlikely we'll have snow then, but not impossible by any means

NatAttack50932 t1_iu1qx5y wrote

It's too hard to tell. New Jersey has seriously eclectic weather so no one can say for sure.

You should pack snow shows and a tshirt and shorts.

rollotomasi07071 t1_iu0pkc5 wrote

It snowed around Halloween a few years ago but that was extremely rare. Most often we don't get anything until January.

Yettan t1_iu0pqxy wrote

There's always a chance but it'll be low, especially in Delaware/South Jersey. Greater chance the farther north you go. Even if it snows, you won't have to worry about moose!

Linenoise77 t1_iu46994 wrote

In NJ or Scranton, snow, at least anything significant, is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. Even less unlikely as you head further south.

I'm assuming you are flying out here (the typical route you would take from Seattle driving would absolutely have sections you may see real snow on).

gnitsuj t1_iu5fp05 wrote

Could it happen? Sure, we had a snowstorm on Halloween back around 2011 (I think). But is it likely? Nah. Generally we don't start worrying about snow until closer to Christmas, and even in the 'dead of winter' (Jan/Feb) it doesn't snow that often.

yepimbiggerthanyou t1_iu1jlhx wrote

You’re from Seattle, you have no business driving here. Just do ride shares and save the rest of us the hassle.

−2