Submitted by achenx75 t3_zax0gu in newjersey

I've never bought from a private seller but I may soon with a car I'm going to look that this weekend. I also hear it's sort of a hassle with the DMV?

To my understanding with the seller, after we finalize on payment I just need the title with the back signed by both parties as well as the bill of sale?

For me, I need to set up insurance after I buy the car, and then take the title and have it registered at the DMV where I'll get my plates in the same visit? Thing is, it seems like you're unable to just walk in and do this. You need to make an appointment which seems to be available 3 days ahead.

So if this is the case, I'm not even able to drive the car anywhere until I have this the title registered. Meaning the car has to sit somewhere for 3 days at least.

Is there anything I'm missing here? Seems very inefficient in 2022 lol.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

mcgeggy t1_iyo3a1q wrote

That’s pretty much how it works. You can activate the insurance on the car the day the title is handed to you from the seller though. Can the seller come to you to complete the sale? He can then leave with the $ and plates. Maybe you could pay for his Uber home.

achenx75 OP t1_iyo4av9 wrote

Unfortunately, I'm an hour and 10 from the seller. My job, which I could leave the car at, is 45 minutes away. I feel a bit embarrassed asking if he could drive 45 minutes and get dropped off lol.

hopopo t1_iyo5hn0 wrote

You don't need a bill of sale for DMV, but it won't hurt if you have it for your records.

Make sure title is properly filled out and if anything looks ineligible or like someone was trying to correct something you will need a notarized letter from the seller acknowledging whatever the issue is.

betcher73 t1_iyo6iw2 wrote

You will need the signed title when you go to dmv. I never had to deal with an appointment (pre COVID) but I did make a mistake on the title when signing. Crossing something out makes it void. That was a $60 mistake. Double check where you sign. Otherwise you got the jist. Can you make the appointment for the same day you buy the car? If you planned well you could drive away with your car a couple hours after purchasing it

achenx75 OP t1_iyou8l7 wrote

I'm checking it out tomorrow so I don't think I'm able to schedule then. Plus, might not even pull the trigger on the car. But it's not like I'd feel bad wasting the DMV's time for how much they waste ours lol.

cbwb t1_iypvola wrote

Read the back of the title. I think you have 10 days to register it. Just keep the title and a dated bill of sale with you. Don't leave them in the car in case someone breaks into it!

Most important, the seller signs in the correct place and signs their name exactly as printed on the front. ( Don't add a middle initial, or don't leave one off etc).

They will want the odometer statement filled in. Read it twice and do it right!