Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

multigrimlok t1_j1lytua wrote

They had good cameras back then!

Mr_Matt_K t1_j1m1aqo wrote

I don't blame them for taking a boat. The Washington Crossing Bridge is so frickin' narrow, I scratched the mirror on my dinky Honda Fit on there.

NewbornXenomorphs t1_j1nyl9s wrote

LOL, I have family that live right down the street from that bridge but my husband hates it so much that when we visit from Brooklyn we go over 202 and drive through New Hope to avoid it.

floofymonstercat t1_j1m0irp wrote

Let's go! Kill those hung over Hessians.

s1ugg0 t1_j1m0x4i wrote

New Jersey. Where if you start trouble we'll shoot you in your sleep on Christmas.

Skyhouse5 t1_j1nxdu2 wrote

"There’s only one way for us to win this , Provoke outrage,... outright, Don’t engage, strike by night Remain relentless ‘til their troops take flight

Make it impossible to justify the cost of the fight Outrun, Outlast Hit ‘em quick, get out fast ,

Stay alive ‘til this horror show is past

We’re gonna fly a lot of flags half-mast"

peter-doubt t1_j1m2f86 wrote

In the 1770s, the winters were exceptionally cold.

In 1778-79, Washington was encamped at Morristown. They had about 20 blizzards that winter. That's more than one per week.

sutisuc t1_j1v3yjg wrote

Wasn’t it 79-80?

peter-doubt t1_j1wgjoe wrote

There were 4 that were similarly bad... Washington was in Morristown several winters

sutisuc t1_j1whb9y wrote

79-80 was the particularly bad one though. Looks like he was in middlebrook for 78-79

soiboughtafarm t1_j1m7ad8 wrote

For the first time since I moved so close to the Delaware there is actually ice on the river during Christmas. So they they finally got to do a historically accurate (cold) reenactment.

BentonD_Struckcheon t1_j1mncy2 wrote

FYI the Hessians weren't hung over, they were TIRED, because the NJ militia had been harrassing them without mercy. GW knew this and took advantage. There was a storm that night which provided a screen for them so that they were practically on them before they knew what was up.

StrategicConch t1_j1lyqvf wrote

Wow they must be freezing, very historical lol

Nenoshka t1_j1mgzot wrote

Is this from today? My grandmother used to live in Trenton a few blocks from where they reenacted this every Christmas morning, and my uncle would take us down to watch.

NewbornXenomorphs t1_j1nxjzl wrote

Asking the same question because the Delaware had chunks of ice in it as of 10am this morning when I drove by, and I don’t see any in this shot.

JimmyKastner OP t1_j1o1n5z wrote

This was from 2015. It was a fairly warm day that year.

RiverToTheOcean t1_j1n53h1 wrote

I bought great history tshirt for this time of year (Washington Crossing the Delaware -Jersey) ‘Americans. Will cross a frozen river at Christmas to kill you in your sleep. Not kidding. We have done it before.’

earlymountainrain t1_j1m296v wrote

is this a duplicate account for u/JKastnerPhoto

JimmyKastner OP t1_j1m2ice wrote

It's still the same me. That account keeps getting flagged for spam and I had a permaban (that was resolved). Perhaps it's time for a fresh start.

Garden_Statesman t1_j1mni2f wrote

Love it! I definitely want to get there for the reenactment one of these years. I bet 2026 will be wild.

RackhamJack t1_j1njhqh wrote

We were gonna go this year but decided it was too cold.

ZaddyAtty t1_j1nuvej wrote

time to go murder some Hessians

Zacharacamyison t1_j1mxqpr wrote

you can find the second half of this photo in the delaware subreddit

Wolfir t1_j1o5lr5 wrote

Let's all find a happy german who has been celebrating christmas, drunk and happy . . . and then stab him with a bayonet while he sleeps

adiabatic-mind t1_j1qxmo9 wrote

I've been wanting to see this for a few years. Awesome shot

SPQR2D2 t1_j1ndnje wrote

I ALWAYS forget to go to this. And I live only one town away. The only year I managed to remember, they canceled it.

OttomanTwerk t1_j1ngpg6 wrote

Why do we pretend like it was the Atlantic. Its like a quarter mile wide where he crossed. He probably didn't have enough time to button all the buttons on his jacket.

−1