Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

trashboatfourtwenty t1_j9ixew5 wrote

Corporate housing is back? We have reversed a century in time, I wish I hadn't seen this coming

Hamafropzipulops t1_j9k61qs wrote

After Katrina I was working all along the gulf coast repairing and rebuilding network systems. There was a franchise owner that had a hard time getting enough employees to run his locations, so he started bringing in young people from other countries on work visas. I think they only worked 2 months before they had to return and he would get another group. He bought an apartment building to house them. He paid them barely above minimum wage. They were put 4 to 6 per apartment and he charged them market rate for the room. The company towns are back, they just have a new look.

asdaaaaaaaa t1_j9kbyy6 wrote

Hasn't left. I know a place that rented to at least one of their employees (multiple over a period of time). From what I understand they like the dude, so it works out alright. Personally, I just know how nasty people can get with money, so I wouldn't be mixing work and home like that.

arealhumannotabot t1_j9kj4sb wrote

Sounds like the franchise owner also owns the place they rent, which seems tobe common. Sometimes, not always, it's because they'll rent it out making more than if it was just left to the market because they'll cram an extra 1 or 2 people in and still charge the same amount per person, so desperate immigrants will accept it.

Not that they're always doing this, there have been ones I've read about where the rental was fine and the price was comparable to the market. But not all are scrupulous.

Thegarbagegamer97 t1_j9ivsv5 wrote

“Planning to convert to a use other than residential” what the hell do you call housing for temporary workers if it aint residential?

EvangelineOfSky t1_j9j9qrq wrote

It's the AirBNB loophole

Been really popular in Canada with our scumbag landlords.. say you are converting it to an AirBNB and grats you can evict without having to adhere to the eviction laws, then a month later convert it back