Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Stinkyclamjuice15 t1_jdtjbnr wrote

NC person here, my whole life I thought they built it here and then flew it in Kittyhawk. That's pretty wild that they did it all in Ohio and brought it all the way to NC.

NothingLikeCoffee t1_jdu9412 wrote

That's why there's the whole Ohio/NC fight over the "First in flight" and "Birthplace of aviation". As a native Ohioan I am obliged to view Ohio as the one who deserves it because 99% of the work was done in Ohio. It just happened to be NC that had a beach they could use at the end.

I think we can both agree though that Connecticut's claim to have flights before both of our states is completely wrong.

Ericovich t1_jdv8og2 wrote

As a Daytonian, arguing over the Wright Brothers will start a fight.

You can't travel through the city without seeing their sites. Their graves are near the highest point in the city. Their flying field is part of Wright-Patterson AFB. Hell, Wright Field has the National Museum of the USAF.

It's deeply ingrained in our local history.

beanthebean t1_jdvxup4 wrote

My ex from high school lived across the street from their mansion! Very ingrained for anyone growing up in that area.

TheBoctor t1_jdwoniu wrote

Plus, Ohioans have a long and storied history of being willing to do basically anything to get away from Ohio.

The_Fry t1_jdxhrg3 wrote

It has a high likelihood of death, are you sure you want to go to space?

Well, if it gets me out of Ohio….

Girth_rulez t1_jdx55fv wrote

> a native Ohioan I am obliged to view Ohio as the one who deserves it because 99% of the work was done in Ohio.

That's just flat out wrong. The Wright Brothers travelled to (and lived in) Kill Devil Hills for 3 years. The first controlled three axis flights, both powered and unpowered happened at that place. Without the strong, steady winds on that beach the invention of flight would have looked very different indeed.

I will not downplay the role of the work they did in Ohio but trying to claim that it deserves the "first in flight" badge is a very tough argument to make.

−1

TailRudder t1_jdu4uba wrote

Yeah they shipped it by train.

vivekisprogressive t1_jdu5m0d wrote

Why didn't they just fly it there?

sPoonamus t1_jdu62dp wrote

Winds, soft sand to land on, and local population willing to help them.

vivekisprogressive t1_jdu64a1 wrote

No I mean fly it from Ohio to North Carolina.

Girth_rulez t1_jdx67k5 wrote

>Why didn't they just fly it there?

They did. In 1903 they achieved the first controlled powered flight in Kill Devil Hills. If If my memory serves correct, it was late in the season, and having achieved their objective after three long years of camping in that miserable location they packed up their plane and went home. It was the last time they worked at that location.

For the next several years, until their contract with the US army they flew at Huffman Prarie in Dayton Ohio. There were lots of witnesses but strangely the world wouldn't really know of their success until 1908.

dlauri65 t1_jdxxch4 wrote

Did NC schools teach you the Wright Brothers were from NC?

EmbarrassedHelp t1_jdtpbla wrote

We should be making 3D models of these historic sites along with museum items, so that they can be preserved in spite of damage to the physical object or place.

MineralPoint t1_je1tysx wrote

I was really hoping it would have only been damaged in a small fire. But a large one, dang, that's a like a regular fire but bigger.