Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Then_Campaign7264 t1_isx81xk wrote

While the company hasn’t taken steps to ensure they aren’t violating child labor laws, perhaps the investment group managing Union pension funds will compel compliance with the law

However, their motivation seems driven by the fact that “child labor and poor workplace health and safety have regulatory and legal repercussions for Hyundai in the U.S. and can cause reputational damage across the globe.”

Recently, the Alabama Department of Labor fined SL Alabama and JK USA, an employment agency, $17,800 each for violating child-labor laws, including allegedly hiring three workers aged 13, 15, and 15 to operate plastic bonding machines and not obtaining proper child-labor permits.

The FLSA only permits children under the age of 14 to work in a limited range of jobs, including delivering newspapers, babysitting, and working for a business owned by their parents. Children aged 14 and 15 are prohibited from being employed in "hazardous" occupations.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/hyundai-kia-manufacturer-alabama-child-labor-sl-dol-law-flsa-2022-10?

JebusLives42 t1_iszerqv wrote

>not obtaining proper child-labor permits

Eh, something feels amiss here. Oh right, I forgot to submit the permits for the child labor I'm using.

🤦‍♂️

gnitiwrdrawkcab t1_isylq0p wrote

Gotta use the arguments that work. Appealing to the executives humanity isn't going to work.

SeaExisting2304 t1_isxwb2o wrote

the children yearn for the mines

Electrical_Tip4975 t1_isz681m wrote

A youngster used to be able to help buy a chicken for the pot every Sunday with good honest labor.

These days the youths are absorbed into their schooling and eating pizza pies. It’s a sad world we’re in.

apcolleen t1_isz6jl9 wrote

>"Child labor and poor workplace health and safety have regulatory and legal repercussions for Hyundai in the U.S. and can cause reputational damage across the globe,"

Oh no! Not our reputation!

How long were they ignoring this?

[deleted] t1_isxpkki wrote

[deleted]

−14

Edg4rAllanBro t1_isysv8s wrote

trying to figure out if this is real or if i've been poe's lawed

DanSchneiderNA t1_isyx4aa wrote

Probably just braindead from working in hazardous conditions as a child

The_Poster_Nutbag t1_isz00ml wrote

Makes me think we should just push for American based companies to follow American regulations overseas.

JebusLives42 t1_iszfnw5 wrote

Haha.. wow! How dare you bring practical reality to Reddit! You shall now suffer the wrath of the woke in a flurry of downvotes.

−2

ImpressiveCherry2 t1_isxvyua wrote

I mean we should just make it legal again. If the kids wanna work let me work!

−22