Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chippopotanuse t1_iycijwf wrote

These folks need more than a slap on the wrist. Why are 179 of the 180 days in jail “suspended”?

vpi6 t1_iycvsyk wrote

He’s so far the only one of the 30 who plead guilty which might indicate this person broke from the group.

crazypyro23 t1_iye4lxe wrote

It's pretty standard in Utah. Almost all misdemeanors and most low level felonies get suspended jail time. You have to really piss somebody off to serve jail right off the bat.

Typical sentence for a misdemeanor (think DUI) in Utah is 180 days jail suspended to probation and low level felonies (think meth use) get 0-5 years jail suspended to probation. Once you get into the next tier of felony (think arson) the sentencing moves to 1-15 years prison, which is when you see fewer suspended sentences, although they do still happen.

Source: I work in the background check industry and used to specialize in Utah.

jawnyman t1_iyesepa wrote

Hopefully it has something to do with cooperation with the defense in exchange for a suspended sentence

UMRK11 t1_iycivze wrote

−4

Chippopotanuse t1_iycsl04 wrote

Yes. I’m fully aware of what the term means. From your link:

> In criminal law, a suspended sentence is an alternative to imprisonment where a judge may partially or entirely suspend the convicted individual's prison or jail sentence so long as they fulfill certain conditions.

Sure. That’s a nice policy goal. But my point was that I doubt this guy, as a racist extremist, is going to be “rehabilitated” by facing zero consequence.

These folks tend to get worse as they age rather than better.

And by coddling them with probation and suspended sentences, all we do is send the message that being a domestic terrorist has near zero consequences.

“But jail will only radicalize them further!”

IMO, letting them roam around free to associate with their hate groups also only radicalizes them further and places innocent people at risk of harm.

Jail sucks, but there is no excuse in a civilized society for what these hate groups are doing, and they need to be jailed when they break the law.

readzalot1 t1_iydxcrj wrote

It might be worth it if he gave evidence against others in the group. And it assures us that he will no longer be accepted by that group.

HeBoughtALot t1_iybvsh6 wrote

Jail these fucks with nothing better to do with their shit lives

SouthAfricanFella t1_iyc1l9z wrote

At least they won’t be hiding out in mom’s basement waiting for their welfare checks while they plot the downfall of the world….

redander t1_iybuktd wrote

I'm guessing Utah has no hate crime laws? Since this definitely was a conspiracy to commit hate crime in other states.

CassandraAnderson t1_iybva4k wrote

Nope, they do.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50443356/woman-charged-with-hate-crime-for-crumpling-pro-police-sign-told-to-write-apology-letter-

That said, I don't think anything that they did would constitute something that could be charged under Utah state law and I don't know if they would seek to prosecute it if it was done in idaho.