Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

know_it_is t1_j26qlzh wrote

I love that two high school students found an unknown scorpion while doing a school assignment!

Hopeful_Hamster21 t1_j2a9dvh wrote

I love that it was by way of iNaturalist. I was introduced to iNaturalist by a stranger I bumped into in the ocean this past summer. I'm addicted now.

TaniaTheTiger t1_j275fl4 wrote

I love when "living fossils" get rediscovered, usually when a new species gets announced it's simply a reclassification of something that was already known to science but finding a living fossils truly feels like a new organism has been found.

Hot-Bint t1_j26vfx2 wrote

The California Academy of Science is a very cool place, indeed. Claude, the albino alligator is awesome, then “the Rainforest” with all the beautiful butterflies, frogs and birds. I love that place. It’s always sold out tho :(

Edit: that rainbow fairy fish would be the coolest beta fish to own :)

thejoeface t1_j298ijj wrote

It really is! My wife and I went here on our second date 14 years ago cause we’re huge nerds so occasionally we’ll go there for anniversaries. The “backstage” tour is really cool!

Hot-Bint t1_j29u6tn wrote

The rooftop tour, right? We did that one too! It’s really breathtaking. I seem to remember we had to book it 2 mos or so in advance, cant just show up and go like the old aquarium was. But worth it, so worth it!

CALsHero09 t1_j299p18 wrote

That gator is huge too!

Hot-Bint t1_j29tyfi wrote

I thought Claude was the one I had seen in my youth, but he joined the academy in 2008. I remember one that was always there and so very old. I wonder what happened to him. I looked it up but it’s all about Claude. Maybe Charlie?

Sad_Perspective t1_j2f6qdx wrote

Ah, I just read a children's book about Claude!

The previous resident was Bonnie and apparently, she became irritated with him always bumping into her...so she bit his foot and they had to remove a toe due to an infection.

animatedrouge2 t1_j28rdqw wrote

You know a joke is played out when the zoologists name a frog “Karen”

Krishnath_Dragon t1_j29bksm wrote

The lack of images of rainbow fish in the article annoys the hell out of me. I see Damselfish and Wrasse, but not one Rainbow Fish.

Krishnath_Dragon t1_j29ri9t wrote

That's a Wrasse, not a Rainbow Fish.

DorisCrockford t1_j29t4r2 wrote

They were using the word "rainbow" as a descriptor rather than the type of fish. Melanotaeniidae is the family of rainbowfish, a single word.

Krishnath_Dragon t1_j2a9qp5 wrote

It's bloody misleading is what it is. They should have written Rainbow Wrasse to be accurate.

Zebra971 t1_j29yfkd wrote

The right wing GOP will have a mental breakdown over this discovery.

UncommercializedKat t1_j28hneo wrote

"Do you like fish sticks?"

"Yeah"

camdoodlebop t1_j297gyk wrote

did anyone else blow on their screen when they opened the article?