Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

jdizzle1981 t1_j0a574o wrote

Wow.. the railroads offered 3 unpaid medical days off so long as they gave a 30 day notice for the appointment.

That’s some Mr. Burns shit right there.

iChronocos t1_j0a6g42 wrote

I genuinely wonder how many votes this cost the democrats.

Infinaris t1_j0ar9ak wrote

The thing though is that this isnt just a Railway Worker issue in regards to sick leave its an across the board issue. Sure the workers are rightfully pissed of course they didnt get that issue sorted but voting Republican is just empowering the bastards refusing to get with the times on an important health and safety issue and who have always been anti worker.

If they're smart they should team up with other unions and say to dems we'll give you support if you are willing to legistlate to pass proper sick leave legislation. The Railway Union workers are not alone on this and they shouldnt believe they are.

DigitalTraveler42 t1_j0a9o35 wrote

Realistically probably not enough to make a difference, most people understand the reality that the GOP has lost the ability to govern effectively, and they haven't been a friend of any union save for police unions.

Also definitely not as many as they would lose for letting a significant portion of the supply chain stop.

The workers are going to have to strike on their own, or whatever they can do.

Malaix t1_j0akwej wrote

Yeah I'm not happy that the government is putting its foot down in favor of the owners over the workers on this. Kinda figured they would anytime any union involved in transportation threatens massive strike it seems to get treated as a national security threat.

But I'm also not about to let insane theocratic fascists take over. The GOP wouldn't have done any better than Democrats on this and much worse on other issues.

And as you said many more would blame the DNC and leave if the rails stopped.

Dudebythepool t1_j0ammuh wrote

Lots tons are disappointed not just rail unions but lots of others that I encounter in public.

3rd party gonna get a boost for sure

−1

meatball402 t1_j0bntca wrote

By forcing them back to work to avoid a disruption to the economy, Biden only guaranteed a slower and more permanent destruction of the rail industry and damage the economy exactly as he tried to avoid.

People don't work under these conditions, so they'll quit, and retire. The rail companies won't fill the slots that opened up, and the slow bleed will continue, until there aren't enough people to run the industry, making the whole thing implode.

But a few people became fabulously wealthy, so it's all worth it.

Twisted_Cabbage t1_j0c7nr2 wrote

That's a great reason why this story should be on r/collapse or r/lostgeneration or r/aboringdystopia

[deleted] t1_j0bjdic wrote

[deleted]

Spara-Extreme t1_j0clys1 wrote

That doesn’t “give us all the information we need”. This is clearly a complex case with lots of angles and isn’t just black and white herp derp Biden !!111

mamawantsallama t1_j0a7jb3 wrote

This is about the train companies not giving them the sick days and not about Congress or anyone else. I can't believe how far off course this fight has gotten.

plopseven t1_j0b891g wrote

The fact that Congress even became involved is proof enough that these people are invaluable and deserve what they’re advocating for.

This gaslighting is insane.