Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Atrocity_unknown t1_j5ucawd wrote

Does California care about earthquakes below a 5.7?

Weekly-Ad-2509 t1_j5ue1xy wrote

The rain did more damage…. So….

repeatwad t1_j5uzhkc wrote

I watched a vid from a surfer dude filming cliffs collapsing on Torrey Pines shore. This was followed by a news crew filming people walking along the debris and still active rock slides. I understand why Yellowstone has to have signs next to thermal pools, and warnings to stay away from bears and buffalo.

AuntCatLady t1_j5vzzdg wrote

I don’t remember the exact quote or where it came from, but it’s something like “You can bet if something has a warning label, it’s because some idiot got hurt or died doing it.”

8976r7 t1_j5vq86x wrote

under 4.0 = "was that an earthquake?"

over 4.0 = "that was definitely an earthquake."

over 5.0 = getting up off the couch in case it gets bigger

over 6.0 = getting into the door jamb out of bad 1980s instinct

but that's just me. can't fight that stupid 80s instinct to get in the fucking door jamb

Bunny_Boy_Auditor t1_j5vt3y6 wrote

What about 7?

8976r7 t1_j5vvc1g wrote

When the Loma Prieta earthquake happened in the bay area in 1989, they initially said it was a 7.1, but years later it was downgraded to a 6.9. So I've technically never been in one over 7, but I imagine I'd do the same thing I was doing during that 6.9--squatting in the stupid door jamb like a moron.

Atrocity_unknown t1_j5w20w9 wrote

I lived in Travis airforce base when that happened and one of our neighbors unfortunately died during that. I was only 2 at the time, but I remember seeing all the pictures on the wall dancing and glass breaking

RcoketWalrus t1_j5uhcte wrote

4.2? You gotta pump those numbers up. Those are rookie numbers in this racket.

atridir t1_j5v1b1j wrote

That’s about the strength that can cause liquefaction so “not really…?”

Liquefaction is terrifying though tbh

AKMarine t1_j5tcn3a wrote

Most people slept through it. Nothin-burger.

SarahTheJuneBug t1_j5uceih wrote

I did. I woke up this morning and was asked by my mother if I felt the earthquake.

"What earthquake?"

I slept right through it.

HeBoughtALot t1_j5u6mdj wrote

In Pasadena. It woke me up at 2am.

justlookinghfy t1_j5u8koq wrote

I saw this on trending as "Los Angeles Earthquake", thought something bad happened. A 4.2 is practically nothing.

o7gg t1_j5w8xw9 wrote

What are the chances someone can explain why there is isolated rings to the NW? Weird layers of material in between?