Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Chs9383 t1_j6mjfsv wrote

It looks like a low level CNA or housekeeper will have to take the fall for this, while management skates. Life in assisted living facilities is quite a bit different than the sales brochure.

andrewta t1_j6mm8ps wrote

Responsibility? It’s the managements job to assign responsibility to someone else.

Singmethings t1_j6nya0s wrote

I'm not sure what you're getting at, but the pay and staffing at most of these places are truly atrocious. The management is responsible for hiring the smallest possible number of cheap, overworked employees.

counteraxe t1_j6n8j3v wrote

Interesting the prosecutors are using 'willfully'... I had originally thought to was a gross negligence issue but their wording implied something else...

Lazy_Vetra t1_j6mk91r wrote

This happened at two different places around a week apart the first was a 93 year old. Also both places are owned by the same company.

Ultraferret107 t1_j6mnv0z wrote

Residential facilities, man. Theyve all got corruption in them

Sensate60 t1_j6nw0gw wrote

Sounds like some health care people working in these places do this on purpose to the elderly who they don't like? This can't be an accident if it happens this many times.

ostensiblyzero t1_j6oikns wrote

Nah she was cleaning something and left the room to go handle a disruption in the dining room. The older guy then went over and drank it. I work at a skilled nursing facility and I bet you that they are regularly short staffed, including housekeeping (which is why she was having to clean up something herself in the first place). CNAs and LVNs are incredibly overworked and on a tight-rope between the company's metrics and their nursing licenses. It is easy to blame an individual nurse or nurse assistant rather than say hey, maybe we should hire more people so we aren't constantly taking care of twice the amount of poeple that is legally safe. Regularly, the state will come in and inspect the facility... but somehow our administration always knows about it in advance, and rushes to put out the ppe we've been asking for for the last 6 months, hires nurses off registry so we aren't short staffed, and the second the inspectors are gone it's back to normal.

Point is, it doesn't seem like this was intentional at all, but rather an overworked nurse who is about to get reamed by the state because her company treats her like garbage.

Relevant_Quantity_49 t1_j6oxnrh wrote

>...somehow our administration always knows about it in advance...

Regulators need to stop announcing their visits. I used to work for a facility (non-healthcare) that always knew when the Fire Marshal or Health Inspector was coming. Managers would have us rushing around to correct the deficits, like flammables in the electrical room or rat feces in the consumables, that were considered totally fine the other 364 days per year.

If you want to know what places are really like, show up unannounced and get a tour from either the lowest ranking employee or the one that appears the most pissed off.

mokutou t1_j6olg8k wrote

This is all truth.

Source: Was CNA in a SNF.

NDoor_Cat t1_j6n06r3 wrote

These places like to impress the families with the size of the chandelier in the lobby, but neglect to tell them that the people who actually take care of their parents are being paid $12 an hour.

mokutou t1_j6olpi6 wrote

In some places CNAs make minimum wage, and are subject to mandatory doubles.

PhilpotBlevins t1_j6mjy2s wrote

I'll go out on a limb and say the brand is Fabuloso

Witchgrass t1_j6nbt99 wrote

We need to take better care of seniors in this country and that means paying the people who staff these nursing homes a hell of a lot more than we do now. I don’t know why anyone is surprised when stuff like this happens. Americans are so far removed from the death process that I think they have no idea what these places are really like. It’s criminal if you ask me.

TripleJetCharlie t1_j6nr2mg wrote

Being under paid and under staffed is a huge problem for a lot of these places. I work in home health and go into a lot of these facilities. There are absolutely some benefits that can come from living in an ALF, but it's critically important for family members to not only do their research when looking into assisted living but also continue to be an active part of their family member's care.
Senior care is such a complex and difficult thing to navigate for so many families.

ZombiePenguinQueen42 t1_j6my0h3 wrote

Stories like these are why my mother and i cared for my father at home instead of letting the hospitals send him to rehabs or nursing homes for the last 5 years of his life. It was the only way to insure he would never be abused or mistreated. Even when we had visiting care providers, I would never leave them alone with my dad until we knew them well enough.

It also gave us the ability to give him the death he wanted, at home with his family and dogs on the 17th.

IntricateSunlight t1_j6oij0i wrote

Honestly I think more people should die at home surrounded by loved ones in their own bed. So many people die in nursing homes, or hospitals instead of surrounded by loved ones in a place of comfort. My aunt had terminal cancer and for the final years of her life she opted to stay at home and refused all medical care and treatment. She had battled cancer for a very long time she even defeated breast cancer twice but it would always come back somewhere else. Eventually it spread through her whole body and she resigned herself to a peaceful death at her home, in her own bed, with her only child there taking careful care of her. Sure there were nurses that would occasionally visit but still she was at home and her daughter lived with her and stayed by her side.

mokutou t1_j6omr2x wrote

I agree for the most part, but I also want to say that not every family can handle that. Some people need more attention and skilled medical care than a family or even a home health nurse can provide. Some families cannot shoulder the emotional costs of bringing a beloved family member home to die in their care, or do not have the means, particularly low-income families. I’ve been party to some very respectful, peaceful passings in both a skilled nursing facility and a hospital. The availability of hospice facilities and in-hospital end of life care is not necessarily doomed to be an emotionally antiseptic experience.

IntricateSunlight t1_j6op1nl wrote

Okay I agree with this. Like for example i am the youngest and personally I dont think I'd be able to bear that kind of emotional burden my cousin did with my aunt. I am aware that if my parents are in that situation I am not the one for that. Luckily there's 4 of us, 3 girls and 1 boy so one of us girls will probably be it. I am pretty squeamish about death and a lotta medical stuff. I dont even like needles.

mokutou t1_j6or9u9 wrote

It’s good to be realistic with your own limitations. Being a caregiver for a loved one is hard, even when the more difficult aspects of it wouldn’t bother you in a less personal setting. It wouldn’t serve you or your family if you had to bear the weight of caregiving when it is immensely psychologically taxing, in addition to the emotional aspect of preparing for loss of a loved one. You’d be surprised what you can handle when you’re in such a situation, I will say, but it shouldn’t be expected of you. Good on you for recognizing that your best support would come in other forms.

IntricateSunlight t1_j6ov3ga wrote

I also have ADHD which is classified as a disability and GAD so yeah I ain't the one for that task. I am however trustworthy and somewhat responsible. My sister told me my parents are planning to leave their house to me and I wouldn't be surprised if its us two youngest girls handling much of the administrative side of that.

Even though I'm only 29, my parents just turned 70 and its something real to think about.

govment-cheeze t1_j6mlx1a wrote

Are just going to skip the part that they tried to blame it on flaming hot cheetos Maybe it should be part of the next commercial flaming hot cheetos they,re killer

gemfountain t1_j6ntggr wrote

If I was 94 in a facility like that, I would have chugged at the first opportunity.

Magical_Star_Dust t1_j6nras4 wrote

This highlights the worker shortage and lack of support for its residents. Source: I go to a sites living facilities often for my work.

floridianreader t1_j6nlpgb wrote

Why was the detergent in a pitcher? Put it in a proper container and label it! It takes 2 minutes.

mokutou t1_j6on91o wrote

This is basic SDS info, too. Label your containers with the contents, with the relevant SDS info readily available.

floridianreader t1_j6oo3lx wrote

Exactly!! I had to take a class on this stuff when I was in the Navy, and then every year, just in case it slipped my mind.

mokutou t1_j6opwa5 wrote

Same, only I was in healthcare. I worked at a hospital at the bedside as a nursing assistant. Every year, same continuing education modules. SDS, fire safety, electrical safety, weather preparedness, HIPAA compliance, and avoiding phishing/ransomware scams on the company network. Each one drilled into our heads with quizzes that required 100% correct answers to pass. Our continued employment was directly tied to the completion of these and other medically-relevant modules, yearly. For every single employee, down to the front desk people. Even the volunteers were required to do them.

But then again, when I worked at a nursing home as a CNA, I never had any sort of onboarding like that, and they didn’t even see the need in getting me certified in CPR and Basic Life Support, so I suppose the bar is raised a bit high here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bigblackkittie t1_j6oj89r wrote

I used to work at this location. This company is AWFUL.

Fred011235 t1_j6owsru wrote

prolly fabulos, that stuff looks tasty