Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

cannibaljim t1_jas0803 wrote

Looks well built. Doesn't seem fair to call it a shack.

taptapper t1_jatd8mc wrote

I thought the favelas were illegal squats and the like. I didn't know people bought land to build on

bonesnaps t1_jatx8pi wrote

My thoughts as well.

Cost 29k USD to build, but some real estate jerkoffs here in Canada would try to pawn it off on us for 200-300 thousand++ easily (and that's in the less favorable areas like central Canada, east or westcoast would probably be double that).

Bumm_by_Design t1_jarlqpc wrote

Considering the fact that many architectural masterpieces are a nightmare to build, let alone maintain, this favela home highly qualifies.

Thomas_JCG t1_jasgbce wrote

Okay, so it wins because it's well designed with plenty of natural air-flow and light, unlike so many pretentious homes that people pay millions for.

onairmastering t1_jasu82h wrote

I am... speechless. I'm Latino and my wife is Brazilian, Only thing I wonder is safety, how do the neighbors feel about this.

taptapper t1_jatd4x7 wrote

Why should this be a problem for the neighbors? It's sturdier than the other shacks around

onairmastering t1_jawdc35 wrote

Theft, BUT!!!!

My Brazilian wife tells me Favela peeps exist for favela peeps, meaning there's a super strong community, nothing's gonna happen to that dude, which in my country, Colombia, it totally would. That dude would be dead by now.

taptapper t1_jb1ch0t wrote

Why would he be dead?

onairmastering t1_jb1gkui wrote

"you got money, you die" culture. In Colombia you can't have nice things, have to look over your shoulder all the time, it's insane.

chemamatic t1_jaw4fe3 wrote

I don't get what they are talking about with the direction the bricks are laid. Isn't that the normal way to lay bricks? Horizontally and staggered? I realize shacks are not built to code but are all the others just bricked wrong?