Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

cbbuntz t1_j117dcc wrote

Avoid getting struck by an ambulance too

elkaki123 t1_j12gk6c wrote

Makes sense, for example in rugby tournaments, even for school level there must be an ambulance present.

danoinator t1_j1286cz wrote

I've ubered to the emergency room two times. It's a lot cheaper and a lot faster.

Yada. Yada. All the caveats. Blah blah blah

Bruins125 t1_j13df4v wrote

This article's from the UK where ambulances are free

toejamandtoast t1_j1429dt wrote

I did after a fall. I’m a few mins from the hospital. Ambulance ride would be $500+ even with insurance. Uber: $10. I hit my head and needed a CT scan, literally no reason to take an ambulance out of service for a ride there.

Uliesen t1_j11azak wrote

Anyone: What made you want to become a nurse, doctor, paramedic, because it was never about the money, right?

−22

PG-Noob t1_j12bxju wrote

You can't just live off passion though. It's sickening that los pay and bad conditions are justified because the job is "fulfilling". At some point people just can't take it anymore.

sterfri99 t1_j12necs wrote

It was literally all about the money. After 6 years as an EMT-B I thought “hey this career is pretty great, if only there was a way I could be compensated decently for it”. So I went to paramedic school. You don’t know me

24-Hour-Hate t1_j15ofko wrote

...It doesn't matter how much a person loves a career, they need enough money to live. Also, the ambulances are run by paramedics and they go through so much shit. I don't know how bad the conditions are in the UK (though they must be pretty fucking bad for a strike), but I can tell you that in Canada, paramedics are over worked and underpaid and have been for ages. The rate of mental health issues, like PTSD, is through the roof in that profession. And no shit. They face dangerous situations, including violence, every day. They also often go above and beyond the job. An off duty paramedic literally saved my grandfather's life a few years ago. Man is a fucking hero and deserves twice the pay and far better working conditions than he gets.