Submitted by Purple_Dis_Nuts t3_zzc9oc in personalfinance

I’m a teacher and I also help my family on the side. I make good money, I don’t have any kids, but I feel like I spend way too much on food, going out, and just all around. What are some frugal tips you offer? I have a Roth IRA, and I’m also investing on the side, but I feel like it’s not enough. I want to buy a house, and be financially well off by 30, but I still lack the discipline to save more. My mentality is “enjoy your money, you don’t know what will happen tomorrow.” How can I change that?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

spiritfiend t1_j2areqk wrote

>My mentality is “enjoy your money, you don’t know what will happen tomorrow.” How can I change that?

Instead of thinking about death, why not think that for every dollar you spend you will need to work an extra day before retiring? Is that small comfort or luxury today worth two or more weeks of hard work when you're older?

legitimatejonah t1_j2atblh wrote

I would try to make a budget possibly using a service like Mint or Rocket Money. Determine where your money goes and cut back on areas where you can spend less. You should treat yourself sometimes but don’t overdue it. Create a balance and you’ll be happy and financially stable.

That’s not a horrible mentality because it’s true but you are here right now and will need money in the future so it’s important to save.

if you’re saving for a house you should research teacher home loan programs in your state. Many states offer those programs to help get teachers homes as teachers pay often leave them left out of getting a decent home. For your home savings goal you should save for that in a HYSA or CD’s.

You should ensure you have an emergency fund in a HYSA account (eg. Sofi, Ally).

If you have any debt like credit cards work on paying those off AFTER building up the emergency fund. If you have student loans as a teacher look into the PSLF program if your loans are federal.

I would also consider checking to see if your employer has matching contributions to a 403(b) or 457(b) plan. I would of course max out the IRA first but if you max it out the next step in saving for your retirement would be contributing to one of those above mentioned plans. Be forewarned though you may or may not know this but 403(b) plans are known to have high fees with products like annuities and managed accounts. You can use a website called 403bwise.org to compare 403(b) providers. If you employer doesn’t offer a good 403(b) plan check out the 457(b) or push HR at your school to add a better provider you can get fellow teachers to help support you in this effort. You said you are investing on the side which is good however you may consider diverting more income into a tax advantaged plan.

KReddit934 t1_j2azdax wrote

Check out the YNAB budget system. It's not about restrictions, but about truly planning out how you want to use your money.

crazynfo t1_j2as40z wrote

It can be tough to manage your finances when you're in a lower paying job, especially as a teacher. But it's important to remember that the work you do is valuable and helps shape the future generation. So kudos to you for taking on such an important role!

To help you with your budgeting and financial management, have you considered using a budgeting website or app? There are tons of options out there that can make it easier to track your spending and see where your money is going. Some popular ones include Mint, Mvelopes, YNAB (You Need a Budget), and Personal Capital. They can be really helpful in keeping you on track and seeing your progress.

Another thing to consider is setting financial goals for yourself. Having specific goals in mind can help motivate you to save and make better financial decisions. If your goal is to buy a house by the time you're 30, you can focus on saving a certain amount each month and tracking your progress towards that goal. This can also help you prioritize your spending and make sure you're using your money wisely.

It's also important to remember that it's okay to treat yourself every now and then, but it's all about finding a balance. By making smart financial decisions most of the time, you'll be able to enjoy your money while also building a strong financial foundation for the future. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to seek out additional resources or advice as you continue to build good financial habits. Your hard work and dedication to teaching and shaping the future generation is truly appreciated.