Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hoosqtx t1_j6m7uir wrote

Insurance will be absolutely insane on a 350z at 17

wordcabbage t1_j6mjfce wrote

I used to work in car insurance and we couldn’t add a 350 to a personal policy bc it’s so big it was considered a work vehicle. Rapid edit: thought you meant ford F350 not Nissan, which may change some numbers here, but not significantly.. however, the 350z isn’t a work vehicle of course. Why in the world do you need a 350, or any car when you turn 17? Sounds like you need to get a job first to have a legitimate reason to need a car.

You also probably can’t open your own insurance policy at 17 so you need to ask your parents and call and see what quotes are. No one can give you a good guess but I mean at least 250-300 a month on that car. Depends on a lot of factors. But if you have a 300 car payment and a 300 insurance payment can you pay $600 a month on a theoretical $11? Include $100 in gas a month. $700 a month for a car. You would have to work 70 hours a month, minimum, comfortably 20 a week. To me that isn’t excessive and I worked 20 hours a week stating at 16 but if you play school sports or have other commitments that may not be feasible.

Do you have anything saved for a down payment or are your parents helping? Bottom line is no, you can’t afford this. Also you need to get the numbers first then make a decision on a car second. Statistically, you will crash your first car, so it’s best to get a beater.

twotall88 t1_j6micgp wrote

Just throwing this out there, the 350z is one of the most deadly cars on the road (specifically model years 2005-2008). Not because it's an unsafe vehicle, mind you. It's one of the most deadly cars on the road because it was, and still is, an insanely affordable sport car with enough power to allow immature and inexperienced drivers to easily exceed their driving skills and rational thought skills.

The long and short of it, a 350z is WAAAY too much car for a 17 year old male. Also, since insurance views a 17 year old that only has 1-3 years driving experience as a smooth brained dolt you will be paying through the nose even for liability because they know you'll end up driving your car through someone's front porch or crashing into 5 other cars as you fail to control the power.

Now that we are past the " you really shouldn't buy anything faster than a base model Civic", all the wage questions you have depends on where you live. It could be as low as $7.25/hr (about half the states) or it could be as high as $15.74 (Washington) and it could even depend on the city or county you are in within the state. Unskilled labor is and should be paid at a low amount fitting the work being performed.

If you want to fast track your hourly compensation, look into apprenticeships for something in the trades like road construction (~$15/hr), plumbing (~$22/hr), electrician ($23/hr), etc. Don't be surprised if you get offered less of an hourly rate than I posted, that's averaged across the USA and you'll make less at a small town company than you would in a big city.

Ast3r10n t1_j6mjfcm wrote

Mate you should get a small dose of reality here. You can’t seriously consider buying a 350z with a starting job.

V3R2AC3 OP t1_j6mkhpl wrote

It's not just me who's buying it, my dad is pitching in 5k

Ast3r10n t1_j6mkolz wrote

You’re still out what, 30-35k? Reality mate.

V3R2AC3 OP t1_j6ml0zi wrote

It's going to be the ones u buy at like Facebook marketplace. Used.

Ast3r10n t1_j6mlef3 wrote

Depending on the model, the cheapest ones come at about 10k, from around 2004-2008. You would be getting a quite old car for the price of a new Smart, which you would have to pay an insane amount of insurance on, and still have a subpar experience. Also consider a car needs maintenance, which might be the biggest hitter in this case. There’s still the matter of earning that kind of money. I’m not sure what your expectations are, but forget about earning $24/hr if you’re not either really lucky or already rich to start with. Why do you think so many adults still live with minimum wage jobs?

V3R2AC3 OP t1_j6ml40m wrote

In reality the cars are worth like 14k if not cheaper.

IndexBot t1_j6mnv5j wrote

This post has been removed because we don't allow career guidance, career path, and job choice questions (rule 9). Other subreddits are better equipped to address this topic:

• /r/jobs is a general discussion forum for job-related topics.

• /r/CareerGuidance is a place for individuals to ask questions and get advice about their careers.

• /r/FindAPath is a place for figuring out what you want to do (both career and education).

• If none of those subreddits seem to fit, ask on one of these job-related subreddits or ask on /r/Advice.

You may also want to ask on a career-specific subreddit, especially for any topic that depends on the job sector and career such as salary negotiation questions.

If you have questions about this removal, please message the moderators.