Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Marzapan1 t1_j2eoq8g wrote

Cool! I am curious, what is the context for this picture?

ArcOfADream t1_j2evekj wrote

Presumably for his 207th birthday. He's the only Civil War general from Philadelphia I can think of, and one of his few better-than-average military decisions was his defensive deployment of troops at Gettysburg.

Hoyarugby t1_j2fn0o2 wrote

McClellan was also from Philadelphia (his birth house is now a Wawa)

UnknownEerieHouse t1_j2foq48 wrote

That’s shameful.

Hoyarugby t1_j2fvms5 wrote

He didn’t live there for that long, just grew up there, and he kind of sucked at the whole war thing. It’s the site of the Jefferson hospital Wawa, probably knocked down during the expansion there

Paparddeli t1_j2f6jdc wrote

George McClellan was also from Philadelphia and also the top Union general at one point during the civil war, but not as well remembered by history (both definitely had flaws). I doubt there's a General McClellan society but what do I know.

salamanderXIII t1_j2euv3h wrote

Looks like there was a birthday celebration for him at his final resting place, Laurel Hill.

https://twitter.com/TheSJUTech/status/1609243845421588481?s=20&t=ngKeEt_IAt-3PEOrAzwCKA

DonQOnIce t1_j2evsj8 wrote

I have no idea he’s at Laurel Hill. That’s very cool. I gotta get out there some time.

avo_cado OP t1_j2eww7w wrote

Yes, the general Meade society celebrates his birthday every year with a champagne toast

Hoyarugby t1_j2fnbha wrote

Other people have mentioned his Civil War service - after the war Meade became the commissioner of Fairmount Park and other than when commanding units in the Reconstruction South, lived out the rest of his life in Philadelphia, dying here of complications of war wounds. A house gifted to his widow by the city still stands at 1836 Delancy, with his name carved over the lintel

J_Blomez t1_j2etwit wrote

Happy birthday General!