Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RowdySuperBigGulp t1_j5yf458 wrote

With the art museum you still need to buy tickets in advance even if you just buy them for a buck. I made the mistake of just showing up one time thinking I could just walk right in but they were booked up and we were sent away.

MacMac105 t1_j5yiyo2 wrote

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's only the case for the special exhibits right?

I went a couple weekends ago when it was pay what you want and we couldn't get into Matisse for a few hours but the rest of the museum was open to walk through.

RowdySuperBigGulp t1_j5yj9vq wrote

No we were turned away and had to go home, but that was in the spring the weather was nice and there was a big line. We went back again last month and pre purchased tickets for like 5 bucks and had no issues .

treos7 t1_j5ypq46 wrote

Pay wall

JT07 t1_j5zr7u0 wrote

I swear 50% of the Inquirer these days is How to get into a museum free! Top places to drink on New Year's Eve! Top 5 Northeast hidden gems! It's turned into a listicle site.

ImaginaryRoads t1_j5za3ui wrote

> Pay wall

You do know that Google can tell you like a dozen different ways to get around paywalls, right? It's not like it's some kind of impermeable fence, it just takes like an extra five seconds. Which is something you might want to learn, considering that your local paper pretty much always paywalls things these days.

Or, y'know, you could also live your life always confounded by paywalls and asking passing strangers to help you interpret the mysterious depths of the internet, I guess - that's a lifestyle choice, too ...

−9

covercash t1_j5zunxo wrote

Also if you have SNAP/EBT you can get $2 admission to a lot of places: https://www.art-reach.org/access-program/access-philly/

Edit: found a site that lists all of the places in PA that give you discounted admission: https://pennsylvaniafoodstamps.com/free-admission-with-pennsylvania-ebt/

tasker_morris t1_j600pcq wrote

If someone in your family is disabled, you can now purchase an access card for like $60, granting you $2 admission to a bunch of museums and stuff.

__connconn__ t1_j5yyn0f wrote

If you get a library card, you can rent day-passes to museums and other neat places for free.

TheThingy t1_j5z0pt0 wrote

That service was ended during COVID and never brought back

__connconn__ t1_j5z14j0 wrote

It's at least brought back for DelCo and ChesCo as they are currently renting passes to Philadelphia points of interest; maybe it's only the Free Library that isn't renting them?

I finally got around to getting my library card last week and the librarian pointedly recommended trying it out.

TheThingy t1_j5z19yh wrote

All I know is that the free library’s website says “The Experience Pass program is postponed until further notice. Please check back soon.”

__connconn__ t1_j5z1gwc wrote

Then it's only a thing for the burbs right now. Makes sense.

HesherPiney t1_j5zua1v wrote

If you have an EBT card you can get in free or cheap to all the major museums as well as most of the arboretums and places like Longwood Gardens. You can take three others with you at the same rate. You can do this any day.

If it's a COVID era card you aren't active on anymore they have no way of checking and just let you use that. There's a similar thing at the opera and the orchestra also has community rush tickets.

https://www.art-reach.org/access-program/access-philly/access-admission-partners/

William_d7 t1_j605yy2 wrote

Can you still get in that weird ass Liberty Museum on the 4th of July for free?