Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Quixotematic t1_jcofe79 wrote

Bertrand Russell's The History of Western Philosophy is excellent.

ficiousconscious t1_jco90s0 wrote

If you haven’t already heard, it’s something most people on this subreddit have listened to: a podcast called “Philosophize This!” by Stephen West. Free with no ads on Spotify. Absolute gem.

It starts off slow and awkward, but as he ages, his voice deepens and he really picks up around episode ~70.

I truly recommend it, both for chronological development as well as research opportunities (pausing the podcast to explore the topics/concepts/ideas in depth).

Enjoy!

Also, you won’t learn much on this subreddit. It’s stale and most people on here are too refined in philosophy to talk about intro level or basic concepts. It’s also a terrible platform for philosophy, given that it’s a mere substitute for the speed and efficiency of interpersonal dialectic, of which occurs mostly in person.

godsonlyprophet t1_jcoimuc wrote

I'm not a philosopher, but damn, if it picks up by episode 70 doesn't sound like the most philosopher thing to my ears.

What's your take to the History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps?

existentialhoneybee t1_jcol8dq wrote

I absolutely love Philosophize This; I used to listen to it regularly when I worked in landscaping.

jliat t1_jcobgr3 wrote

As recommended by John Caputo (and myself) https://www.introducingbooks.com/ 'comic books' but they are a quick intro, and some not bad IMO.

If you are new, a quick historical overview is I think a good place to start, as you could spend several lifetimes exploring just one philosopher or one idea.

When I stated it was Bertrand Russell's History of Western Philosophy, but it's very dated now.

Beware of YouTube, unless by some respectable source. The Gregory Sadler ones seem OK.

Also many 'commentary' books on philosophers often have a bias.

The problem – or joy of philosophy is unlike science, (very) old theories are still very relevant.

wizardsfartfire t1_jco7xzv wrote

I recommend you watch a YouTube documentary on diogenese. That's a great start 😂

Top_Net_123 t1_jcofr45 wrote

I’d suggest starting reading the books of Walther Ziegler about famous philosophers. Read his books „Plato in 60 minutes“, „Kant in 60 minutes“ and then whatever is of interest for you.

These books are such amazing beginnings to get a general grasp of philosophical concepts. From there, start reading the originals.

Fluffy_Juggernaut_15 t1_jcparqu wrote

There are a couple of full philosophy courses on YouTube, lectured by outstanding professors. DM me and I can send you the links (I just don’t want them to get taken down cause of copyright issues)

BernardJOrtcutt t1_jcpc8ah wrote

Your post was removed for violating the following rule:

>Questions belong in /r/askphilosophy.

> /r/philosophy is intended for philosophical material and discussion. Please direct all questions to /r/askphilosophy.

Repeated or serious violations of the subreddit rules will result in a ban.

This is a shared account that is only used for notifications. Please do not reply, as your message will go unread.