Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

ChaosFinalForm t1_itbf81i wrote

For those confused: There are no cookies in there, only mismatched sewing supplies that have been slowly appearing over the past 3 decades.

Spydrchick t1_itcipiu wrote

For real blind boxes. The one with only buttons is highly sought after. The one with tangled thread and needles with a half of a random snap? Not so much.

deVrinj t1_itco00t wrote

Too bad, i love me some Danish cookies, which are the opposite of their pastries, legit and affordable.

baronvonbee t1_itbgdi0 wrote

One time when I was a kid I ripped a small hole in my pants while I was at my grandmother's house. I was afraid of being punished so I decided to try to sew the hole. I found one of these sewing kits in her living room but when I opened it up I found that the batty old broad had filled it with little cookies. I got whooped pretty bad for tearing my clothes. Cookies were decent.

deraser t1_itbfce6 wrote

That’s a great price for 218 assorted buttons, three needles, several partial spools of thread, and a pair of slightly dull scissors!

2nd-kick-from-a-mule t1_itbgns0 wrote

Don’t forget the tomato with a strawberry hanging off the stem.

GeordieAl t1_itez742 wrote

Don't forget the random small sea shells that were put in with the buttons "for safe keeping"

Sc4r4byte t1_itd8d3x wrote

you aren't allowed to use the scissors though, or else it will make it slightly more dull.

WindsorPotts t1_itbj6ak wrote

$12.50? Damn you inflation, you've gone too far!

JK

It's Walmart, I was going to shoplift anyways

evilsir t1_itbdl8t wrote

Just think! You'll finally be able to finish all those small little sewing projects you've been meaning to get around to!! For only 12 and change!!!

deepsea333 t1_itcdaqh wrote

Your “local store”. Of Walmart.

suzer2017 t1_itbfhqd wrote

Some of them could be just old pennies, a few nails, and some curls of wire.

MorboDemandsComments t1_itccpyo wrote

$13?! Jeez, greedflation is out of hand.

fritz236 t1_itg81xu wrote

Yeah, especially when dollar tree is selling a smaller tin for $1.25. What a scam.

CycleofNegativity t1_itbdnw7 wrote

I’m confused.

noodlesaintpasta t1_itctxla wrote

You must be a youngun’. In the 1900’s people would reuse these tins, or in my family, red fruitcake tins, to store things. Most grannies kept their miscellaneous sewing stuff in there. I personally had one that I kept all my little beads in (for making yarn necklaces) when I was around 4.

CycleofNegativity t1_itdzx0w wrote

I mean, I’ve got decades of the “1900s” I remember, but that doesn’t mean I look at tins that we reused for everything and think “sewing kit”. Idk, I thought there must be something more to it that I was missing. Maybe because I sewed more than my grandma ever did? That woman cooked everything in the microwave and patched clothing with duct tape and safety pins.

XavierScorpionIkari t1_itbn76q wrote

This joke is so old, it puts spools of thread, buttons, and needles in these tins.

Beavshak t1_itbe7xc wrote

Please elaborate.

deep_violet t1_itbi9tz wrote

Many grandmothers repurposed these tins to hold sewing supplies.

Beavshak t1_itbikvl wrote

Thanks. Both my grandmother and mother are big time quilters, and other sewing projects. Never seen them use these tins for that (which were also a regular holiday item).

a2jeeper t1_itc0d8d wrote

My grandma used them for everything, grandpa had some in the garage.

We make homemade cookies every year and refill them.

My buddy moved away for college and said the best gift he got was one of these. Any time it was empty he would send it to his mom and she would refill it and send it back to him with homemade cookies. Really neat idea for homesick college kids.

Similarly, we save all of our takeout containers (the plastic ones, typical for our thai and chineese, etc) and take them to relatives at thanksgiving because they make a great way to split leftovers and you don’t have to care about ever getting it back.

SaggingZebra t1_itbup4z wrote

What's the difference between the $3.98 version and the $12.48 version?

caniborrow50cents OP t1_itcsrzj wrote

I've been told the $3.98 tin has your hidden stash and rolling papers.

whereisthespacebar t1_itbzlkq wrote

Well god damn it I must be getting old because I get it. My grandma had a few of these.

corbaybay t1_itcu4fo wrote

My husband bought me a sewing machine for Christmas one year and as a joke put a tin of these cookies in my stocking.

Law_Doge t1_itc0h92 wrote

What’s the difference between butter cookies and cookies make with butter?

caniborrow50cents OP t1_itctphw wrote

Most cookie recipes I've seen require large amounts of butter. Think of them as sugar cookies only instead of all that unhealthy sugar, you added more unhealthy butter. Oh and kinda hard too. Butter cookies in these tins have a crunch without being overcooked.

pichael288 t1_itc819p wrote

Who actually has a sewing kit anymore?

woodcider t1_itewzcy wrote

I do. I just sewed a button back onto my pajamas.

Spork-in-Your-Rye t1_itcflyz wrote

This triggered many memories of finding one of these, opening it up, excited to swipe some cookies only to find bullshit. Buttons, yarn, coins, nail clippers. I used to be pissed at the bamboozle lmao.

Wood8010 t1_itcrql2 wrote

Lol. Or buttons! Cx

noodlesaintpasta t1_itcu2os wrote

I appreciate Kate this post so much. Bring in the nostalgia

Dynasuarez-Wrecks t1_itcvt19 wrote

Where did this joke even come from? Do sewing companies regularly package their products into tins with the word "Cookies" printed on them?

caniborrow50cents OP t1_itcwel0 wrote

Many people used to keep the tins for decoration or repurpose them. Tins work well since the pins and needles cannot poke through the sides.

edited to add:

The tins were quite air-tight to keep cookies fresh as opposed to the bagged cookies of the day. This tight lid helps ensure the sharp sewing supplies never fell out.

GrinderMonkey t1_itcx15d wrote

You should really buy one. there's a reason those thing are full of buttons and thimbles an shit.. all the cookies got eaten.

scene_inmyundies t1_itd5vgd wrote

We used to get pallets of these before going on patrol out of Scotland. Empty boxes float. Was not uncommon to see lines of floating cookie boxes going out to sea.

Flameraker48 t1_itdidko wrote

Reminds me of the disappointment when i saw these at my grandma's house and thought they were cookies, stayed up late to eat them at night just to find out there were 500 1cent coins inside

skinnyman87 t1_itdx46e wrote

I too like to sew, and by that I meant eating cookies!

Tisalaina t1_ite4q34 wrote

As a kid I never once opened one of these and found cookies. There was always that rush of excitement before seeing the everpresent tomato pincushion with sawdust leaking out.

koopooky t1_ite5lhd wrote

The result of the cost of living crisis leaves people unable to buy new clothes. Stitch up old shitty clothes and learn to knit!

forsennata t1_ite84lw wrote

I can be bribed with those.

DocBrutus t1_itbu6w9 wrote

I don’t know anyone under the age of 70 that actually likes those. Also, who the fuck would pay $12 for some dry ass cookies?

spenzalii t1_itbwklc wrote

I laughed loud enough for my daughter to check on me. Didn't explain why; she wouldn't understand

PaPaGoldfish t1_itcs3qb wrote

Your local store does this too???

−1