Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

SumerianProgRocker t1_j25t1fy wrote

Wal-Mart in Texas ??? For another $50 you can get a shotgun!

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j25u1uq wrote

Not at that one, but I did buy a 12-gauge at Walmart many years ago for around $120.

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j25t41o wrote

Receipt

Edit: Most expensive items:

Pork steaks - $10.49. This is enough protein for at least three meals but I have a feeling two of them will be broiled and eaten inn one meal (I live with one person, my 17 year old daughter).

Three pounds of ground beef - $10.86. I could have got 10 pounds for $26 but my refrigerator is small. This is at least three meals.

Hot links - $12.54. This is 54oz of pre cooked J.C. Potter hot links. They are great air fried but a quick easy meal in the microwave too.

Butterfly shrimp, $15.99. This is 2 pounds of breaded fried shrimp, great in the air fryer. They go a long ways and if my daughter is hungry when I'm not, a few of those shrimp make an easy meal.

Cheese pinwheel lasagna - 2x7.88. Each of these is technically 4 servings, my daughter and I will eat one between the two of us.

3-meat rising crust frozen pizza - $3.98. I've found these store brand "premium" frozen pizzas are better than the more expensive name brands.

Other things - a big package of Mission tortillas can be used in a lot of ways. Pita bread is for my daughter who likes to eat it with Nutella or hummus or wrapped around a hot link. There's some frozen tortellini that's really good with a homemade sauce we can make with the dirt cheap tomato sauce. Refried beans used for taco night. Mayacoba beans can make 4+ quarts of beans in the slow cooker that can be eaten on for several days.

There's some staples we didn't buy on this trip that we have left over from previous trips. Rice is cheap and good with a lot of things. We're stocked up on butter, milk, eggs (cage free was actually cheaper than regular last time), cheese, and seasonings already. The minced garlic in olive oil was an impulse buy.

TedGuzan97 t1_j2608aj wrote

Do you ever buy the fresh meats that are reduced? They're good to use the day of or to be frozen for later use.

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j26230i wrote

Yes, when available. I'll freeze the day of purchase if I don't use it that day. I try to avoid being sucked into buying things I normally wouldn't get just because they're greatly reduced, though. This was a problem of my ex wife, she'd buy stuff nobody wanted and it would go to waste.

doubledragon44 t1_j25u5sf wrote

That would be about $35 in Argentina, maybe a little less.

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j25zss7 wrote

Some of the more expensive items are not visible. I posted a receipt and description of the more expensive items.

[deleted] t1_j25v4xs wrote

[deleted]

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j264wde wrote

I am shopping for two and this is at least a weeks worth of food. Not all of it is visible in the picture, check out my reply where I post the receipt and describe the more expensive items.

Dramatic-Suspect2131 t1_j25vvcv wrote

Can I ask you how much you earn ? Is that like weekly groceries or just for few days? It looks like you aint got much there for the amount you spent

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j262iuw wrote

I make a little over $20 an hour, and that's probably all the shopping I will do for about 10 days. I do have some staples at home already from previous shopping trips, and I'll probably have to buy milk and cheese again before I run out of pork, ground beef, shrimp, sausages, and frozen dinners.

There's a lot that can't be seen (like 3 pounds of ground beef and some frozen lasagnes). I posted a receipt in another response to this post with a breakdown of the more expensive items.

Listening_Heads t1_j262tzr wrote

That would feed a family of four for a day? Maybe 2?

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j2647eh wrote

Three large pork steaks, three pounds of ground beef, 2 pounds of breaded butterfly shrimp, 12 oz breakfast sausage, 54oz of pre cooked hot links, a large frozen pizza, 2 frozen lasagnes that are 4 servings each - that should last a family of four more than a couple of days. I'm in a household of 2 and this should keep us from making more than small shopping trips for over a week.

Listening_Heads t1_j2657yw wrote

Ok you didn’t give us the fancy table spread of each item so I couldn’t tell lol

samfreez t1_j25t2xf wrote

Bet that meat was roughly half that amount, possibly a little less (guessing $40 to $50 total between the 3 meat items I can see)

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j25txf5 wrote

The pork steaks were under 11, the sausage patties 2.60 something, the big package of hot links 12 something. Receipt is posted. The frozen lasagnes were kinda expensive but they're good.

Edit:. The 3 pounds of ground beef was around 10 something.

samfreez t1_j25uda7 wrote

What's "GV Butterfl" ?

I wasn't too far off though haha

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j25vu32 wrote

That was 2 pounds of breaded butterfly shrimp.

samfreez t1_j25w16f wrote

Oh well that works, and means I WAS correct lol

$49.87 for the 4 items

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j263310 wrote

This 4 items will provide protein for at least 12 meals. The pork steaks were a really good buy, I can make a few meals from them. That 54oz packages of hot links usually last me a couple of weeks. The most expensive item, the 2lbs of shrimp, goes a long way as well.

samfreez t1_j265fvj wrote

Oh no worries at all there. I wasn't doubting the usefulness, just high-fiving myself on getting it right after all lol

ABena2t t1_j25tn91 wrote

that's disgusting

doublehaulrollcast t1_j25vxe1 wrote

Geez how much were the pocket pain in the asses?

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j26at3b wrote

$3.36. I don't think they're a good value but my daughter likes them.

bstylz01 t1_j25wao2 wrote

Didn't have to flex on us like this

conquerorvvorm t1_j25yaup wrote

Jesus, enough with the grocery prices shit. It's like every other user on here's my mom the past two days.

MarkHirsbrunner OP t1_j26akh5 wrote

This stuff is interesting to adults, and fun to brag about when you get a good haul. You'll understand one day unless you find somebody else to be your mommy when you move out

wooodaben t1_j26d92v wrote

If I had a Time Machine I’d go back to the day the 1st person decided to post the cost and contents of those grocery trip and steal their phone. For the love of all things holy why is this happening and who asked for it?

Crushed_Panda t1_j26q0eq wrote

It’s free if you can run fast enough