Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Willmatic88 t1_j6kygai wrote

Mercury dimes are the best. Found almost a half roll of them one day while refilling change at work one day. Put $5 in the register and kept the dimes.

cote112 OP t1_j6kzp5f wrote

That is nuts. I think I have three.

Someone must have recently died and a family member probably just dumped a bunch at the bank.

Gothmog_LordOBalrogs t1_j6l3vbs wrote

Or a kid stole his dad's dime roll to pay for snacks, shame really

cote112 OP t1_j6l4re0 wrote

Oh I definitely did that to get a Screwball from the ice cream man. Who even knows what I gave that guy. Just some coins I found

Honestly it's my Dad's fault for not giving me an allowance for doing chores.

Gothmog_LordOBalrogs t1_j6l53vx wrote

My half brother did that to with a roll of silver dimes. Put it in an arcade in the 80s. I keep all my rare coins in a combination lock box now

cote112 OP t1_j6l5ulz wrote

Oh wow, arcades probably got some pretty sweet Dad collections stolen by kids who needed to Double Dragon.

Gothmog_LordOBalrogs t1_j6l6gfy wrote

My vice was soul calibur and time crisis. I never stole coins though, only paper like a civilized child of the 90s

cote112 OP t1_j6l71ks wrote

Well by the mid 90's the dollar had really begun it's decline so yeah the age of paying for things with change was over.

cote112 OP t1_j6l4x95 wrote

Oh I definitely did that to get a Screwball from the ice cream man. Who even knows what I gave that guy. Just some coins I found

Honestly it's my Dad's fault for not giving me an allowance for doing chores.

1thepapa t1_j6ky4br wrote

Cool. Never stop collecting.

O-hmmm t1_j6kybww wrote

When people used to say, " I wouldn't give one thin dime for that", I think this is what they were talking about. Silver is a much softer metal and coins wore away.

cote112 OP t1_j6l024f wrote

Dimes are thin compared to the other coins regardless of wear and what it's made of.

tacknosaddle t1_j6lc247 wrote

I have a handful of old coins, the oldest is an 1885 silver dollar.

dyslexiasyoda t1_j6lo3ec wrote

Just a little trivia, the back side of that coin displays a bundle wooden rods wrapped around an axe.

Fasces, we extract the word Fascist and Fascism from this symbol

i think it is interesting that we used this symbol on our coins well into WWII, when we were fighting actual fascists.

nadmaximus t1_j6lxanm wrote

You should get a gumball machine or something so your coins can enjoy being spent every once in a while.

stormytrooper t1_j6l15sk wrote

Oldest coin I ever pulled out of the till while working was an 1898 nickel, but I also have a dime and quarter from 190X. In each case I couldn't believe it was in circulation. They look so foreign compared to modern currency, and of course you could hear it as soon as it hit the tray.

Former_Football_2182 t1_j6l30jn wrote

I have the same one I carry it in my shoe. It's 88 years young. And she is still beautiful as the day she was minted.

Maxtrix07 t1_j6nr2jg wrote

Nice! I have a Penny from 1917, I celebrated its 100 year birthday a while ago obviously.

And to be fair, I didn't really celebrate. That would've been interesting