Submitted by DariusTheChaotic t3_11e6ht3 in pittsburgh

Hello all! I’m looking for someone who teaches the Japanese language and maybe even how to write in it, about maybe once every other week maybe more or less up to the person. I’ve been interested in learning it for over two years now, and I don’t know where to really look for it

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

g_h_o_s_t_ t1_jacsmcm wrote

while you are looking, the duolingo course is a nice intro.

DariusTheChaotic OP t1_jact2g9 wrote

I need more of a push to help keep me on track, I have tried it but adhd does not help me 😂

Pennsylvasia t1_jacup71 wrote

I posted another reply to your question but it has been removed / hidden, so until it appears I'll just mention Duolingo isn't the greatest for Japanese (and is awful for Korean, for that matter). It's okay for improving memorization of hiragana and katakana, but you don't learn how to write them, which is half the point. It also introduces kanji without explanation, and, again, if you're not learning how to write characters you're not learning too much. The vocabulary it brings up is introduced kind of hap-hazardly. If you are just learning for some quick lessons on spoken Japanese, go through the NHK World lessons for free: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/learnjapanese/

Whatever you choose, just try to stick with it and find ways to introduce it into your life to build meaningful context. You're not going to be fluent after four weeks of free lessons, but you can find things to read, things to listen to, etc. Too many weeby websites promise too much, and focus on too narrow stuff.

I messaged the mods about my other post about finding teachers / tutors, so if that gets approved there will be some other suggestions.

thebaron512 t1_jad2fah wrote

Maybe a posting at the Tokyo Japanese Store? I only know a little bit of Japanese and way out of practice.

Kurenaikami t1_jadkkql wrote

I took private lessons with Kana Eckstrom a few years ago. This was pre-pandemic so we met at Mt. Lebanon Public Library but she also offered virtual lessons. The first session was free and she lets you decide if you want to continue. I can’t remember how much I paid after that (maybe $40 a session). She teaches all levels and she’s a native speaker. Her email address is k.eckstrom@aol.com. Good luck!