Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

[deleted] t1_je52pun wrote

And 12 years later the Hill is totally rebuilt and revitalized. Thanks Penguins!!!!

Brak710 t1_je6c0r2 wrote

There just really isn't any market pressure or interest in expanding town in this direction.

Plenty of bad things in the past have happened to cut the area off from relevancy, but even low prices don't attract interest.

Ceramicrabbit t1_je72w2p wrote

There has been interest, there have been several developments proposed but they never get approved and are always killed early by the Hill CDC for various reasons mostly how it doesn't benefit the Hill community itself. I think it's politically very difficult to get development approved because of the sensitivities from the controversial history.

Lil_Phantoms_Lawyer t1_je7ptvx wrote

I've been involved in a few projects where we tried to redevelop the hill. The people who own the land are stifling any development. It's not a lack of interest.

penguinsfan40 t1_je5hv25 wrote

I liked the Civic Arena more than PPG

monongahellyea t1_je6z10m wrote

Same. I miss being able to walk in any direction and hit an exit, instead of being herded like cattle up/down two gigantic escalators or a mystery stairwell that pops you out on street level, but never the street you need to be on.

James19991 t1_je54t2f wrote

I have a ton of pics from late 2011 and early 2012 of the demolition progress of the arena.

NSlocal OP t1_je56m9z wrote

I think this pic is from this week in 2011 because it showed up in FB memories. Did they take all year to demo?

James19991 t1_je598t0 wrote

Hmm, my demo progress pics go from November 2011 through April 2012.

NSlocal OP t1_je59rwz wrote

ha you're right, I looked again and it's dated 2012. My bad!

NSlocal OP t1_je527uj wrote

Looking a lot like the "derelict ship" from Alien.

ddesigns t1_je5wjgu wrote

I always think about where all of the huge rats went after they tore that place down. There used to be rats the size of small cats in that place.

TonyB1212 t1_je6ms95 wrote

Miss this place so much. Even though it was a shit hole. Atmosphere was just so much different.

NastyBass28 t1_je86jaa wrote

I worked with a guy who had season tickets with his roommate. The roommate got a new job and it caused him to be unable to attend at least 30 games that season. The deal was if I drove and paid for parking, I could use the extra ticket. I found some street parking downtown that was free after 6, so I paid basically nothing to go to 30 games that season. I miss the Arena, but I also remember saying I couldn’t wait for a new building.

DannyBoy4T5 t1_je5gcmf wrote

😭😭 should have never been demolished. Could have used it as the city’s public rink, or moved WBS here.

JaxBratt t1_je5mgk7 wrote

Sad to see it go but I do have a piece of it now.