Submitted by ilikedirt t3_yh0ci7 in pittsburgh

I would like to take advantage of this glorious October and get some miles in the Allegheny Cemetery. Does anyone have experience or tips for running in this area?

Edit, I went early this morning and got four beautiful miles in. Parked on the street near the Lawrenceville side gates. I saw only two other humans, also running. Lots of deer and geese. Sadly I missed the mythical titty sphinx. There’s no real obvious loop so I meandered and the miles worked themselves out. I was never afraid for my safety and was never even anticipating that I would be? And the gates don’t open to cars until 10am, so traffic also wasn’t an issue.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

plantatreeretard t1_iubegdn wrote

watch out for g-g-g-ghosts lol. no sorry i do not.

MustangMimi t1_iuc3p5l wrote

It’s a beautiful area. Just honor it.

Russlethud t1_iubgy97 wrote

Say hi to the geese at the ponds!

aborgeslibrarian t1_iubnq30 wrote

I really like taking different paths when I run in the cemetery. It’s gorgeous this time of year! Do watch for cars, especially if you are on some of the wider roads, as people tend to speed.

tatortotpockets t1_iucfomk wrote

Keep your head on a swivel for cars around some of those sharp bends. Fairly difficult with all the different hills as well. But a really nice place to run overall

IClight69 t1_iud1buf wrote

I would like the geo location of titti sphinx.

stauss151 t1_iubohyg wrote

Do the cemetery gates actually close up? In addition to running the paths inside could be great for cycling across the city. Particularly in the north to south direction.

jralll234 t1_iucwmdp wrote

No bikes allowed in the cemetery.

−7

lydriseabove t1_iud3qdy wrote

This is just false. There are always cyclists. No dogs allowed, though.

jralll234 t1_iud59ea wrote

It’s been a while, but there used to be no bike signs inside the gates. It may have changed since I last lived near there.

lydriseabove t1_iud5e1k wrote

I googled it and they have been allowed since 2010, so you’re not wrong in that they weren’t at one point, but it’s definitely regularly used by them now.

jralll234 t1_iud74z0 wrote

I appreciate the googling, let’s me know I’m not crazy!

felonlover t1_iudqcnk wrote

Wildlife's up close and diverse. Would be a lovely time to catch some migrating birds, too.

djohnny_mclandola t1_iud3azd wrote

In my experience it’s really similar to running elsewhere. Unfortunately, there are no surprises for you inside of the cemetery.

lydriseabove t1_iud3k4k wrote

Just go and enjoy yourself. I’ve gotten freaked out a couple of times by vehicles with out of state plates following me incredibly slowly, but I usually go when there are a ton of people around, and stay vigilant with my music not too loud.

U84owe4 t1_iuda448 wrote

Left foot first and run on your heels

Moogottrrgr t1_iuiufss wrote

If you go anywhere near the grass, make sure you check for ticks.