Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

esotweetic t1_j6bzjb6 wrote

Shooting on Smithfield. 5-7 gunshots. Police were on the scene within a minute.

Woke up several buildings.

apersello34 OP t1_j6bzr5j wrote

Oh yeah I see it now. Bunch of cops all along Smithfield outside of Burlington/Liberty Garage. That really was right out front my apartment…

U84owe4 t1_j6c14rt wrote

A bullet went into someone’s living room and they are looking for a dark blue charger

apersello34 OP t1_j6c1l2g wrote

Where’d you hear that? Was that the car that sped off west down 6th right after the shots?

esotweetic t1_j6c1rwm wrote

I did see that. I’m pretty sure it was a Chrysler 300. Not sure if he saw the fire and noped out of the situation, or picked up the shooter

esotweetic t1_j6c1jn5 wrote

Where did you hear this? What building?

kashmir772 t1_j6c39y4 wrote

Probably the Alcoa. It is the closest apartments to the intersection that it happened at.

ForeverInjured t1_j6c0psp wrote

Yeah heard about 8 gunshots, and then a ton of sirens within 10 secs. Saw around 7 cop cars on 6th between William penn and grant for a few mins before they all sped off, sounds like they went to Smithfield based on other people

BorisTheMansplainer t1_j6e9dck wrote

That's a faster response time than the last one. It took minutes before one sheriff dept. car slowly rolled down Wood w/ L&S. I wonder if Shotspotter has a reliability problem or something .

ForeverInjured t1_j6ejopa wrote

There were a lot of cops and emergency vehicles in the area because of an OD by the church on Smithfield maybe 30 minutes before the shooting. Talked to one cop after the shooting and he said he was a block away writing a report for the OD when the shooting happened, hence the super quick response time

Current-Pianist1991 t1_j6fvrog wrote

As someone who used to work in the security field. Shotspotter's entire MO is pandering to local PDs to convince whatever city/town they reside in to spend way too much money for a copaganda piece. They're relatively ineffective at what they're "intended" to do, and great at giving cops an excuse to mobilize to certain areas because "shotspotter went off". Garbage overpriced tech either way

vanderbeek21 t1_j6c158k wrote

Is that 3 shootings in a month near Smith and Liberty?

kashmir772 t1_j6c19ut wrote

At least 2 that I have heard…. You have the one at subway on liberty, this one. When was the other?

vanderbeek21 t1_j6c1o1b wrote

On the bridge. At least as far as I can tell. Someone came in the 7/11 yelling about it while I was on my lunch break (so around 2 PM) 3 Weeks ago or so.

BorisTheMansplainer t1_j6e8sji wrote

Was there a shooting on the bridge, or are you thinking of the last one where they fled across the bridge?

kashmir772 t1_j6c0ua7 wrote

They have blocked 6th at Burlington. And are very interested in 2 cars parked there. But a number of cop cars have left too.

Update. That is were the shots were from. There are some little yellow evidence flags set up in the road.

apersello34 OP t1_j6c1fru wrote

Yeah I’ve been watching that too. They’ve got flashlights and they’re looking for something. Maybe bullets/casings?

kashmir772 t1_j6c1j0u wrote

That is my guess. I am wondering if the cars were shot at.

OrangeSundays19 t1_j6dhull wrote

They needed to completely redesign Smithfield Street. I would not be surprised if there was a Ghostbusters 2 hell slime river underneath.

The nexus seems to be that one street with the library, the church and the Burlington store. It's also right where the P1 busses pick up. It gets very very crowded at times, especially rush hour. I just think people get overwhelmed by the intensity and act out. Some of the things you see on that particular block will break your heart.

It's also right next to Mellon Park, which is for some reason closed constantly. It's a city park that we can't use. Opening that up would increase the openness and vibe of the place. If they have to assign a security guard, so be it. I think it'd be worth it. Wealth disparity factors in as well. Grant is business and Smithfield tends to be more affordable, low income (mixed randomly with mountains of wealth). They feel like streets in two different cities.

We need more breathing room, there especially.

H_1_N_1 t1_j6c1npm wrote

They came flying by the Pennsylvanian. Even with my gaming headset on it caught my attention.

steelguin t1_j6bznj0 wrote

The shots were loud as hell from the William Penn hotel where I am.

apersello34 OP t1_j6c1pre wrote

Yeah I was watching Better Call Saul and I thought the shots were from the show, but I realized they were way too loud and reverberant to be coming from the TV

steelguin t1_j6c1vwv wrote

Visiting from San Diego told wife it’s a safe city to walk around in. She’s not buying it now lol

TrentWolfred t1_j6c4eyq wrote

Aww, sorry for this introduction to our city. I assure you it really is quite safe, especially if you aren’t looking for or already involved in some sort of trouble. Admittedly, our downtown (where you are) is small, limited in its offerings, and has changed slightly for the worse since the start of the pandemic. Because of our geography, we’re a city of neighborhoods, and if you were to visit again, I’m sure this sub would be happy to recommend some more vibrant neighborhoods in which you might want to stay.

mikeyHustle t1_j6cqasw wrote

I'm downtown catching a bus nearly every Saturday or Sunday night, and I've seen exactly two fistfights in 15 years and no gunshots. I don't know who pissed off whom in the last few weeks, but this is extremely unusual.

cfowen t1_j6ch36g wrote

I’m at Smithfield and Liberty and heard probably 7-10 shots.

steelguin t1_j6bz4zx wrote

Heard it too. Ton cops drove by

steelguin t1_j6bz68x wrote

Heard about 7 shots

kashmir772 t1_j6c04t4 wrote

There were a lot more than that. A would guess a full clip so 12 or more. Looking down at the garage. They are walking through it. But no ambulances so that is probably a good sign.

apersello34 OP t1_j6bz7gd wrote

Yeah but the weird thing is it sounded like they all just drove by and off into the distance.

−2

crestarthegreat t1_j6egcsp wrote

Man, pittsburgh has gotten a lot worse since I moved here 17 years ago.

skumps814 t1_j6bzgm1 wrote

Saw a bunch of emergency vehicles goin down bigelow too

Naa2016 t1_j6dti0x wrote

Was this what the warning sirens were about around 11 pm?

−3

Ok-Aioli-2717 t1_j6ctlce wrote

They should make most of downtown a no-car zone. Allow busses, delivery trucks, and special transport for the elderly and disabled.

This would solve a few problems: it sucks driving downtown, it sucks being a pedestrian downtown, and it sucks having shooters speed in and out of downtown.

−15

cardinaljester t1_j6d984u wrote

I guess screw the people who need to drive to work from downtown lol. I’m all for making market square pedestrian only but you cannot possibly think most of downtown needs to be that way.

Rook22Ti t1_j6d765x wrote

Not sure why you're being downvoted. Less cars in a city center is always a good thing. We can debate how much that would help with shootings but I'm happy to throw drive bys on the "reasons to have less cars" list.

kashmir772 t1_j6dc7hm wrote

I would love to be able to live downtown and not need a car. But this is America and it just isn’t built to be car free. Sure you can do it some places but it is more difficult and annoying. And there are something’s that you can’t do.

chuckie512 t1_j6hwnrz wrote

25% of Pittsburgh households are car free. You could do it too.

kashmir772 t1_j6i22lr wrote

Not if I ever wanted to visit my family that lives in rural Pa.

chuckie512 t1_j6i2y79 wrote

Yeah unfortunately if they're not near the Amtrak line, you're stuck driving.

However, it's probably cheaper to just rent a car when going out to visit.

AAA estimates car ownership costs at $900/mo (including maintenance/gas/depreciation/etc). Not sure how often you visit, but It's probably worth investigating.

StickyRicky17 t1_j6d1pym wrote

Ummmm.... downtown is happening downtown

−19

TrentWolfred t1_j6d6zcw wrote

Umm… I suppose it is. And as early morning turns to midday, I assume we’ll move on to talking about the next not-entirely-ordinary (if not-entirely-unprecedented) thing that happens in some part of our city.

−9

KentuckYSnow t1_j6d1nu9 wrote

Better assign a violence prevention worker there! /s

−22

stevefiction t1_j6d6sii wrote

As opposed to the cops assigned there who didn't prevent this or the next one?

bigdumbdago t1_j6ejkc9 wrote

i mean the police didn’t seem to prevent it or solve it so……what now

AutoModerator t1_j6bz0ug wrote

This looks familiar. We've may have some similar questions to this in the past. You might find some good info here : apartment search. I don't always get it right though, cuz I'm just a simple bot.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

−31