Submitted by PseudoAccountant t3_10moga2 in pittsburgh

As I’ve gotten a little bit older and my free time is less, I’ve found that my hangovers have just gotten brutal. I still enjoy socializing with a beer in hand, but I find that I don’t even have to get wasted to wake up feeling miserable now.

I’ve been experimenting with mixing nonalcoholic beers into my rotation on nights when I drink to get the average abv down.

But now I’m searching for a low A.B.V. alternative for my day drinking needs. I know they make them and I find them frequently outside of PA’s Byzantine liquor law bubble. I just can’t seem to find any distributors that carry them here in the burgh.

When I say low abv I’m talking 1-2.4%. So miller64 for example doesn’t cut it. Also, I’m looking for things that present like actual beers and not watered down flavorless swill. Calories are not a concern for me.

Anyone have any tips on where I can find a distributor that typically has low alcohol beers in stock in the region?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

DallasYoungDoxed t1_j648n88 wrote

https://www.openroadbarpgh.com/

Non alcoholic bottle shop in Allentown. I haven’t been there yet. You might as well just go with 0% as you won’t feel a thing from 1%. You can find kombucha at that level like the classic GTs that are delicious.

https://gtslivingfoods.com/collections/classic-raw-kombucha

rush2ryme t1_j64ls7y wrote

I just went for the first time. I was impressed by the selection, but as a heads up it is pricey. Not so bad if you just grab NA beer but if you get into their spirits or wine or seltzer drinks, it jumps a good bit. For OP, check out their CBD, Delta 8, or Kava drinks. However you can’t really drink a bunch of them, you’d either get sick (kava) or you’d feel deliriously high (delta 8).

PseudoAccountant OP t1_j6cusnh wrote

I’ll have to check this out one weekend. Didn’t even know it existed. Thanks so much for the recco!

Elouiseotter t1_j64533z wrote

Two Frays has some low ABV beers. I think a couple are under 1% even.

mreinhart7887 t1_j64kmv0 wrote

I second this! they have a "Hoppy Amber" beer which is .9%, a Porter which is >.5%, , and Tangerine Sour which is >.5%. Good Atmosphere and locally owned to boot.

verdesquared4533 t1_j64an48 wrote

Athletic Brewing is available at all supermarkets that carry beer and is around .5%

IceblinkLuck0 t1_j64iu1b wrote

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but BrewDog have a bunch that are .5 https://www.brewdog.com/usa/non-alcoholic

Edit: Meant to say I’ve seen it in stock at their bar/restaurant in East Liberty.

thunderGunXprezz t1_j65aw6s wrote

Love Brew Dog's NA IPA's. Coors Edge is also a very tasty "traditional" NA beer. Athletic Brewing also has a few good options.

[deleted] t1_j65f718 wrote

Budweiser Zero actually taste like real beer. Comes in a white can. Give it a try contains 0.0 alcohol There is more alcohol in your orange juice

rambored89 t1_j662x35 wrote

With the exception of N/A Beers, the only thing you'll really find on the market are Radler, which is really just beer mixed with juice. N/A beers typically have an abv below 0.5%, whereas Radlers usually run in the 1.5-3%. There's a new d8 weed seltzer circling around right now. It's legal and low dose so you don't have to worry about getting brain fried off of one can.

PseudoAccountant OP t1_j6cui7s wrote

There are a lot of “low alcohol” beers out there in the 1-2.4% range. You can find them pretty easily in other states (Colorado, California, Florida). Just having trouble finding it here.

I’ve actually tried some of the d8 cocktails. They are really pleasant. I’ve also tried some of the r1,3 BDO stuff. Interesting, but I’m a little concerned with how safe it is given it has only recently started to be sold as an alcohol alternative.

kickerofelves86 t1_j6bafd7 wrote

NA Guinness is pretty nice. Mix with a regular Guinness in whatever ratio to get the abv you want?

PseudoAccountant OP t1_j6cu8zd wrote

I have a 4 pack in my beer fridge right now. It’s a little off without the booze but still has that nitro pour thickness we all know and love.

PseudoAccountant OP t1_j6cura6 wrote

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. As you guys have shared with me, thought I’d add something. In the category of nonalcoholic, Omission brewing makes a crazy lifelike IPA. You almost can’t tell it’s nonalcoholic. I think the bitterness masks the lack of ethanol bite. It’s not my favorite IPA but it is a great NA brew IMO.

Primary_Assumption51 t1_j67cguk wrote

O’douls Amber looks and tastes like a craft beer to me. It’s .5 ABV. Definitely does not have that watered down taste typical of NA beers.

KentuckYSnow t1_j694yeg wrote

IC light is basically water already. I could literally drink it all day and not even get drunk, much less hungover

−1

PseudoAccountant OP t1_j6cuaan wrote

That stuff gives me a headache. Used to drink a ton of it in my 20s though!

DoctorCAD t1_j64fflk wrote

Question...did you catch COVID? Reports of hangovers intensifying after COVID.

−17