Submitted by foundry37 t3_10ob15c in pittsburgh

Any local recommendations for this dish? I had it all the time in NYC. From the most hole in the wall bullet proof glass joints to the most high end restaurants.
But why can’t I find it here?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

TSOD t1_j6dik6n wrote

You can't find it here because it mostly relies on fresh made wide rice noodles. They're okay refrigerated for a day or two, but really not great frozen, and a pain to make in small quantities. If you're not living somewhere with a big enough Chinese population it's not going to be as good/popular, which means that most places won't have it.

That being said I've definitely had it from Szechuan Spice and it was pretty good.

OOKdestroyerofOOK t1_j6dk9b7 wrote

Most of the places I’ve been to in Sq Hill have it. Maybe what you’re looking for is listed as “beef hor fun” on the menu.

CasualFriday11 t1_j6dtqz7 wrote

Also Beef Ho Fun from Chengdu Gourmet. I believe it is the same dish, but someone please correct me if I am wrong

ticketferret t1_j6elbj6 wrote

Yue bei in squirrel hill has decent chow fun with wide noodles!

DarkKnyt t1_j6eq6vj wrote

A lot of Chinese places have it to varying goodness.

Parlor was good but overpriced IMO. Had some at sezchuan spice recently and it was good.

One issue might be that we have a lot of taiwanese places and not so many Chinese/honk kont places and chow fun is predominantly not a Taiwanese dish.

dogmom412 t1_j6frxl8 wrote

My husband likes the Beef Chow Fun at Rice Inn in Bethel Park.

Jagoffhearts t1_j6i9m4o wrote

Rice Inn in Bethel Park has it.

Independent_Apple159 t1_j6g32c1 wrote

I was just at Tan Lac Vien on Murray and saw it on their menu.

Fluffy_Relation t1_j6giu2p wrote

I grew up with Cantonese food and the best one I've had in PGH is at the new Parlor Dim Sum spot in Lawrenceville. Did not love the dim sum, but their beef hor fun is actually really legit and good.

I also had it at Lulus on Craig St and Orient Express while in college. Lulu's just got bought by Bao and its called Bao II I think. They might have it there.

PGHxplant t1_j6dsvx4 wrote

Thai pad see ew is very similar and might scratch the itch. I love Senyai's, although they don't offer beef as an option. You might try Thai Gourmet or Thai Cuisine in Bloomfield if beef is a requirement.

−1

put_the_ux_in_sux t1_j6ecfo6 wrote

Pretty sure this was on the menu of noodlehead.

−2