Submitted by cinnamonh t3_12059w9 in providence

Hi :) I’m traveling from the southeastern US to Bristol, RI, and trying to come up with a way to get from the TF Green Airport to Bristol… The bus seems like the cheapest option- taking route 20 Kennedy Plaza and then route 60 to Roger Williams University. Do you think this is a good idea? Reliable? Safe for a single female? I appreciate any advice in advance, thank you!

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Illustrious-Elk3509 t1_jdfu30i wrote

Yeah just try to go during daylight hours. Kennedy plaza during the day is fine mostly students and people going to work (still a lot of homeless tho) and at night it’s a bit sketchy. You’ll be fine though the buses are safe and pretty reliable tho you may have to wait a bit

askmullan t1_jdfucic wrote

RIPTA is pretty safe, reliable and comfortable imo. The drivers are pretty helpful too. That will take some time tho. Make your friend in Bristol pick you up!

zebrawithflowers t1_jdguzkx wrote

I take RIPTA every day for a 30+ mile commute. It's fine, and here are some tips to help:

• Have exact change in $1 bills - the fare boxes don't make change. Alternatively, use the RIPTA Wave app for your fare.

• Double check to make sure the bus is going in the right direction. You could take the 66 from the airport to downtown, but the 66 going south also stops in the same spot. Ask the driver if they're going to Providence as you get on.

• As noted, Kennedy Plaza can be unsettling at night. What time are you planning to be there?

I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. Have a good trip!

NeptuneNancy42 t1_jdh70d4 wrote

My son and I made the mistake with the 66 bus at CCRI! Both buses arrived at about the same time, but we didn’t know there were two, so we just got on the first one that came. Realized the mistake while heading south on 95! Got off at the train station and waited for the bus north! At least there was the train to providence as our backup. 😂

iandavid t1_jdg5dly wrote

RIPTA is pretty reliable, if not always frequent. You can use the Transit app to see when the bus is coming.

Another option—that costs a little bit more, but might be faster—is to take the MBTA Commuter Rail from TF Green to Providence. You can either walk from the train station to Kennedy Plaza, or take one of the various routes that connect the two (including the R Line, which is currently free).

kbd77 t1_jdh7a1j wrote

Download the RIPTA Wave app so you don’t have to worry about having exact change, makes it a lot easier. But this route should be completely manageable, though it will take you a while. Kennedy Plaza is fine, just keep to yourself and no one will bother you (if they do, it’ll likely just be asking for money).

mary_wren11 t1_jdh6ake wrote

You will be fine. It's a long trip. If you have to wait at Kennedy Plaza, the close coffee shops are Bolt on Washington St and Small Point on Westminster.

Wilkey88 t1_jdft2xn wrote

You will definitely make it. How reliable is questionable. However down town pvd has a lot of great places to grab a coffee and hang for a bit. Good luck and I hope you make it.

dnca111001 t1_jdg8xcm wrote

Those are both reliable buses. Download the transit app + check the schedule on the website to confirm times. And yes, Kennedy Plaza is great for people watching both day and night, but when the sun goes down it gets a little pricklier.

depraveddoll t1_jdhyh2f wrote

That route is a good plan. You shouldn’t run into much issue, just make sure you’re going to the correct letter stop at Kennedy Plaza (I think 20 is stop C and 60 is Y). I recommend you download the WAVE app, purchase 2 day passes ($6 each) and you can just wave the QR code under the reader as you get on (put your phone about 12 inches below it.) Getting a day pass is the best bet because it also covers cost for your ride back, and eats the cost of any mistakes you might make along the way (ex: in case you take outbound instead of inbound and need to catch it the other direction, or if something happens and you have to get off and get back on.) It’s definitely safe. If you’re not sure of any of it you can ask the driver, no promises that they’ll be friendly but they’ll definitely tell you what you need to know.

cherub_daemon t1_jdk4sqq wrote

I think if you're using the app it will automatically upgrade to a day pass after you spend $6.

shuckit401 t1_jdi39g3 wrote

You'll def be safe...! Just be aware of your surroundings. The Newport #60 will drop you right in front of RWU.... Is kinda scenic, pay attention. As the next stop after RWU is over a bridge. So you can't walk back if u miss the stop.

I would let the driver know your getting off at RWU...

You could uber/Lyft from the airport to Kennedy plaza ( Downtown Providence:)

If u have any ? Let us know!!

laterbacon t1_jdp1coj wrote

It's only every hour instead of every 20 minutes, but the 66 goes directly to downtown Providence via I-95 from the airport and will cut your travel time in half for the first leg of your trip.

As far as safety and reliability, RIPTA is very good for an American transit agency in a city the size of Providence. You might encounter some characters on the bus but there are security cameras on all the buses and the drivers don't tolerate bullshit.