Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

lavendergrowing101 t1_j5kov78 wrote

asian bakery is the only serious response

asteroid_b_612 OP t1_j5krxvf wrote

I just realized after other comments that the name of the business is literally “Asian bakery” haha thank you

asteroid_b_612 OP t1_j5kp2tr wrote

Im at toritomo right now and got a pork belly banh mi and very disappointed. Doesn’t taste anything like any other normal banh mi sandwich I’ve had. They’ve put too much of their flavor on this banh mi and not enough traditional banh mi flavor. Literally ate one bite and stopped.

freshf1t t1_j5kxvde wrote

If you're looking for traditional banh mi then Asian Bakery is the way to go. Nothing else comes close IMO.

GotenRocko t1_j5l4txk wrote

Like Banh mi & bubble tea in Cranston over Asian Bakery. Both are good though.

delta_cephei t1_j5lsn22 wrote

I haven't had asian bakery yet, but I recently tried this place and loved it

leavingthecold t1_j5llkei wrote

>Im at toritomo right now and got a pork belly banh mi and very disappointed.

Isn't that a Japanese restaurant? Not sure why they would have a Vietnamese national food on there.

My guess is you had some chef try to do some razzle dazzle and fucked up something real basic.

asteroid_b_612 OP t1_j5lmmf8 wrote

Yea they mostly had ramen but they also had some other pan-Asian items on the menu and I thought how hard could it be to fuck up banh mi? They “Asian fusioned” the dish with a bit too much fusion I guess

Educational_Leg36 t1_j5poa5k wrote

Because like most ethnic themed restaurants they need to be able to have a a good assortment of food to be able to sell and appease the American pallete.

leavingthecold t1_j5pxds2 wrote

Oh really, so tell me how many Italian restaurants where selling Greek Gyro's along side spaghetti and meatball's. I'm sure the American dining scene was burgeoning at that time.

Based on the website this is a Japanese themed restaurant , whatever their reason for throwing that sandwich on there is beyond me. And for $12 I could already tell it's not worth it but to bland taste buds it might be.

DDeast t1_j5kuo07 wrote

It’s really the only response. There is no better in PVD.

kuest00s t1_j5kxd9z wrote

Lotus Pepper food truck!!! Best Bahn Mi Ive ever had.

asteroid_b_612 OP t1_j5ky78m wrote

Their banh mi is great but I stopped seeing the food truck around covid and forgot about it the past year or two. Are they still operating now?

ProvidenceMojo t1_j5l108m wrote

Lotus Pepper closes for the winter months but they are typically on Waterman St near Brown on weekdays, at Hope St Farmers market and Providence Flea on weekends. Love them!

GotenRocko t1_j5krp9n wrote

Just a little over the boarder in Cranston, I frequent Banh mi & bubble tea on Park Ave, next door to Cranston East HS, great sandwiches. The combo sandwich is the one we get all the time.

austin3i62 t1_j5kwgmy wrote

This one. Best around. Family owned can't go wrong. The bbq one is amazing.

davefischer t1_j5krtgi wrote

Asian Bakery on Broad St is fantastic. I haven't tried many of the alternatives so I can't say how they compare.

KennyWuKanYuen t1_j5kv5qm wrote

I definitely second the recommendations for Asian Bakery on Broad Street. Probably the best around.

A close second is the Lotus Pepper food truck. I haven’t seen him in a few years, but their banh mi is also great in a pinch.

CaroKannyeWest t1_j5l541z wrote

Asian bakery is all you need. bring cash. Don't worry if it seems like they're ignoring you.

BOKEH_BALLS t1_j5n1gcn wrote

Asian Bakery. The other responses come from people too scared of minorities to venture onto Broad Street lmao.

quickswitch123 t1_j5llteq wrote

Banh mi and bubble tea in cranston is seriously worth the drive!

boop-snoot-boogie t1_j5kt5n0 wrote

Pailin on Cranston St is solid. They are a Cambodian spot, but their Bahn Mi fucks pretty hard

Double-Diamond-4507 t1_j5maada wrote

Asian Bakery. Cash only, tip fat. The owners are sweethearts

jt_tesla t1_j5l3vbm wrote

Asian Bakery is the best. Ming’s over in Pawtucket isn’t bad but it’s no Asian bakery

Jtownusa t1_j5lx6au wrote

PHO ZAP ZAP! They have two banh mi options: cold and "bbq" The bbq is not really bbq, they just mean they serve it hot. (Not spicy hot but physically hot.) It's one of the best banh mi sandwiches I've ever had and I've eaten a lot of Vietnamese food.

Kerlzzz t1_j5lae57 wrote

Definitely the Asian bakery

leavingthecold t1_j5lg41r wrote

Asian Bakery been eating there for a very long time, the previous and original owner was a Vietnamese lady and she used to make cakes and other baked items.

Banh Mi with Keo's soy bean drink hits the spot.

Other spots with decent Bahn Mi would be Yummy, Sunny Market ( they are resellers of the Ba Le brand from Boston - Sat and Sun only )

The best one I had ever is a premade one sold at small stores in Northern California.

dpyankees t1_j5m3j5d wrote

Mings food truck on mineral spring is good but only open Thursday Friday Saturday for 4 hours a day

Major_Halfsack t1_j5q42e9 wrote

Mings is my preferred one, but they don't often carry it when they're selling from their food trucks, since the chicken sandwiches sell so well.

But yeah, their physical location on Mineral Spring has it all the time.

Tempestrus t1_j5m45oy wrote

Lotus Pepper!

Asian Bakery is also really good.

HeWhoIsNotMe t1_j5kxzwo wrote

Is a Banh Mi a pork or beef sandwich?

asteroid_b_612 OP t1_j5kys83 wrote

CAn be made with whatever meat. I’ve usually seen pork in the USA but chicken liver is common in vietnam

thatsactuallybananas t1_j6dn810 wrote

Pailin on Cranston St. Delicious! Most banh mi places in Providence (including Asian bakery) are Cambodian style though, so be aware of that if you're used to traditional Vietnamese banh mi. Banh Mi and Bubble Tea in Cranston is traditional Vietnamese style, but make sure to ask them to toast the bread longer.

PipeLayer2016 t1_j5od34x wrote

Pho Saigon in Cranston. It's not Providence, but it's close and their food is great!