Submitted by naviaas t3_yia1bg in relationship_advice

Tldr: Fake Number texted me saying that my M20 bf is cheating on me, and I suspect its my ex who texted me with the fake number.

Hello, this is my first post so it may be poorly written and I’m also venting within this post. I’m F18 and my bf is M20, we’ve only been dating for a couple months but it’s been great. Yesterday a fake number texted me saying that my bf is cheating on me, without any proof and I can’t reverse search the number because its a fake number. The person who texted me used an app called TextNow. One ex used to create multiple numbers in order to contact me, after I’ve blocked their numbers. And after a couple months of not talking to them, I unblocked them and asked them if they had contacted me. They had said no. But they are the only person I know that has created fake numbers, and on top of that I do not just give my number out. I also don’t normally text my boyfriend through my phone number, so if he was cheating I’m not sure how the other person would have gotten my number, there are only a few people that know I am dating someone and who also have my number. I can’t honestly say that this hasn’t placed doubt in my mind, there’s just a little bit of doubt in my mind due to my past experiences. It’s driving me crazy that I don’t know who sent that text. How do I move on from this?

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Princess__Nell t1_iuhlwou wrote

Your reasoning seems sound. If ex has engaged in this type of behavior in the past then he’s the likely culprit.

It’s probably worth talking to current boyfriend about situation for further clarity.

“I got this weird text saying you’re cheating on me?”

How does he respond?

naviaas OP t1_iuhmcg0 wrote

Thank you and yes I’ve talked to my boyfriend and asked him if he knew the number, because I thought he was just playing a really fucked up joke on me but he said no and agreed it would be fucked up if he joked around like that. He also has been cheated on before, so i doubt he’d hurt someone the same way he was hurt. We both tried to call the number but I’m pretty sure the person who used it just disconnected the number? I’m not sure if that’s the right way of saying that.

Princess__Nell t1_iuho0km wrote

Sounds good. The ex does come off as the most likely perpetrator here.

I’d keep my eyes open for suspicious behavior but try to let it go.

mysticpolka t1_iuhm1q5 wrote

Just ignore it. It’s petty drama that doesn’t need to exist.

senioroldguy t1_iuhmdon wrote

It's a fake text! What exactly are you moving on from? Both my wife and I get all types of spam using all types of hooks.

Fake text, fake story.

naviaas OP t1_iuhmht7 wrote

It said my bfs name within the text so I thought it would be real, but i do agree i should ignore it. Thank you

naviaas OP t1_iuhml6t wrote

It’s just driving me crazy not knowing who sent that and whether its real or not but I doubt that it is.

mysticpolka t1_iuhmvm4 wrote

If it was real they wouldn’t be hiding and all sketchy about it. They’d just be like “hey this is so and so and you should know this happened”. Fake number with no context or anything though? Fuck that, it’s gotta be your ex trolling you because he’s miserable.

naviaas OP t1_iuhn6sx wrote

I thought it was sketchy too but I started overthinking the situation. I completely agree, if it was real I think they would’ve given more information and used anything else other than my number to contact me on, because there’s only a handful of people that have my number

senioroldguy t1_iuhmyln wrote

A friend who was really warning you wouldn't use a fake number.

Liss78 t1_iuhwxn8 wrote

Just assume it's the ex and keep your eyes open to the potential cheating just in case it's not. You can't trust the info without knowing the source. Don't assume he's cheating without any proof, but don't ignore it. If you don't see anything suspicious of cheating, you know it's the ex or someone trying to mess up your relationship.

AutoModerator t1_iuhlixb wrote

Welcome to /r/relationship_advice. Please make sure you read our rules here. We'd like to take this time to remind users that:

• We do not allow any type of am I the asshole? or situations/content involving minors

• Any sort of namecalling, insults,etc will result in the comment being removed and the user being banned.

• No referencing hateful subreddits and/or their rhetoric. (Includes, but is not limited to: red/blue/black/purplepill, FDS, MGTOW, etc.) Any infractions of this rule will result in a ban. This is not an all-inclusive list.

• All bans in this subreddit are permanent. You don't get a free pass.

• What we cannot give advice on: rants, unsolicited advice, medical conditions/advice, mental illness, letters to an ex, "body counts" or number of sexual partners, legal problems, financial problems, or situations involving minors and/or abuse (violence, sexual, emotional etc). All of these will be removed and locked. This is not an all-inclusive list.

If you have any questions, please send us a modmail.

#This is an automatic comment that appears on all posts. This comment does not necessarily mean your post violates any rules.

I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns.

TnSugarCookies t1_iuhmv2j wrote

Someone is warning you. Maybe true. Only a couple months in. I’d check it out before you are a couple years in.