Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

predicktable_x t1_jaam7uk wrote

It's a shame Dr Hurt didn't want to comment for the article, but I dont blame her for not wanting to.

As of today her leave has been extended again presumably for personal reasons. I would think that at this point, given the extended absence, she won't be coming back this year. I originally hoped she would be back, but now, I'm not so sure.

RiverYuppy t1_jab6m5l wrote

If 85% of teachers are unhappy with her, why do you want her back?

HappyHannah84 t1_jaf1u8x wrote

It’s a complex issue. Scores were similarly low at many schools. I doubt you’ll be shocked to hear that white teachers report higher satisfaction at schools with white principals. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brown-center-chalkboard/2020/07/13/teachers-are-people-too-racial-bias-among-american-educators/?preview_id=905180

Knowing something about the organizing at Holton, it’s clear that mainly white, mainly privileged folks are trying to oust her through improper channels (e.g. expecting access to what is really confidential HR material), and it’s become a chicken/egg thing. Only someone with superhuman emotional detachment could lead while being treated like this.

Don’t get me wrong, our teachers need all the support they can get. But if the cure is worse than the disease, look around and see who is behind the strategy of tearing apart a community while claiming you’re saving it.

eziam t1_jaakkgi wrote

Why in the article is the term black capitalized but not white? It mentions Black many times in the article and is even compared family members as Black and white. They even quoted a teacher saying white but capitalized her remarks when saying Black teachers. Just a weird observation.

Nevermind, it was fixed. Well mostly.

ttd_76 t1_jabozee wrote

That's the way the AP does it.

Diet_Coke t1_jacgblb wrote

https://www.cjr.org/analysis/capital-b-black-styleguide.php

>we capitalize Black, and not white, when referring to groups in racial, ethnic, or cultural terms. For many people, Black reflects a shared sense of identity and community. White carries a different set of meanings; capitalizing the word in this context risks following the lead of white supremacists.

>Sarah Glover, a past president of the National Association of Black Journalists, wrote in a recent piece for the New York Amsterdam News, a historically Black weekly, that “capitalizing the ‘B’ in Black should become standard use to describe people, culture, art and communities.” After all, she pointed out, “We already capitalize Asian, Hispanic, African American and Native American.” 

dovetc t1_jacmy3t wrote

>After all, she pointed out, “We already capitalize Asian, Hispanic, African American and Native American.”

Then the obvious move is to capitalize White as well.

>capitalizing the word in this context risks following the lead of white supremacists.

Nonsense. White supremacists drink water too, but that doesn't mean water consumption risks following their lead.

[deleted] t1_jacnzcx wrote

[deleted]

dovetc t1_jacoip9 wrote

It's an adjective that describes a person's race. Same as black.

"That white guy" or "That black guy" - They're used in exactly the same way. They should follow the same rules of grammar.

−1

[deleted] t1_jacozzh wrote

[deleted]

dovetc t1_jacpqvl wrote

There's no logical basis for black to be a proper noun but white not be one. The logic from the AP is ridiculous:

>For many people, Black reflects a shared sense of identity and community

A black guy from Richmond and a black guy from Equatorial Guinea don't share a sense of identity and community any more than a white guy from Richmond and a white guy from Latvia.

The terms describe race, not culture. There isn't any good reason for them to have different grammar.

Diet_Coke t1_jacu3x8 wrote

>And, as my CJR colleague Alexandria Neason told me recently, “I view the term Black as both a recognition of an ethnic identity in the States that doesn’t rely on hyphenated Americanness (and is more accurate than African American, which suggests recent ties to the continent) and is also transnational and inclusive of our Caribbean [and] Central/South American siblings.” To capitalize Black, in her view, is to acknowledge that slavery “deliberately stripped” people forcibly shipped overseas “of all other ethnic/national ties.” She added, “African American is not wrong, and some prefer it, but if we are going to capitalize Asian and South Asian and Indigenous, for example, groups that include myriad ethnic identities united by shared race and geography and, to some degree, culture, then we also have to capitalize Black.”

−1

dovetc t1_jacumo7 wrote

So then black Africans aren't Black. They're just black. Yes?

Diet_Coke t1_jadv519 wrote

That is true, in that case you would probably describe their nationalities differently though. If you were in Africa you might say that Kenyan guy, not that black guy. Just like if you were in China, you might say that Korean guy not that Asian guy to describe someone.

justblahetoday t1_jac91ek wrote

Kamras is the problem. Still have no idea why he gets put up on a pedestal.

−6

throwingutah t1_jaeh6dt wrote

Most of the pedestal-putters are here to downvote anyone who even dares to hint he isn't the very bestest. The report came out a few days back about the sketchy Head Start stuff—which they can't blame on the school board—and it's crickets. 🤷‍♀️

−1