Submitted by LoafRVA t3_126tcio in rva

For everything Henrico does well, we really don’t have a lot of “green” space. I walk my dog through this park 4-5 times a week. Now with it being closed we have to drive to Deep Run or Pony Pasture but those are really the only two options in the near west end (Bandy field yes, but 3-4 parking spaces get filled quickly). So there’s that…now there’s a HIDEOUS orange “closed” sign on the old park sign that looks like someone tagged it. Not to mention cutting down very old trees, and destroying a parking lot that was very ecologically friendly. Obviously it’s too late to do anything but does anyone remember there being a hearing or public input session on this park? Picture was one of the large trees they decided to chop down.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

_MellowGold t1_jeaqovq wrote

https://henrico.us/projects/cheswick-park/

Per the schedule on here, I would think public input would have been before the September 2021 plans, maybe even closer to the 2016 Bond Referendum. So, it most likely happened a few years ago.

goodsam2 t1_jebi3lk wrote

I was in the area for COVID and went there often.

Yeah they had a comment period and this was announced months ago.

Not that I go back there but I thought it had already started.

LoafRVA OP t1_jeatfyw wrote

Awesome, thank you! Lol, I just moved into the area so I missed that opportunity, but I just sent an email…which means nothing but maybe they will remove the “closed” graffiti sign painted on the entrance

−4

Danger-Moose t1_jeaxc3l wrote

Why would they remove the closed sign? The park is closed and being redone. They don't want people walking through a construction site.

LoafRVA OP t1_jeaxua8 wrote

Yeah, but they spray painted “closed” over the original sign in orange paint. It looks like a teenager did it in the middle of the night

−3

GrandmaPoses t1_jeashre wrote

They're apparently revamping it, not closing it permanently. I hate to see the old trees being cut down though (unless they were dead anyway) but yeah it's supposed to be upgraded in some way.

LoafRVA OP t1_jeatngh wrote

Some of them did look dead, and maybe a professional arborist did look over them. However, felling an 80+ year old tree to install a non-green parking lot which will cost a lot to maintain seems like a very bad idea.

−7

Asterion7 t1_jeauusf wrote

They are definitely making it less green replacing a lot of permeable land with non permeable. Disappointing.

LoafRVA OP t1_jeaxeyc wrote

Right?? It’s like they don’t understand how ground water & drainage works.

ImmobilizedbyCheese t1_jebhfhz wrote

I assure you that the engineer and permitters know how this works. Unfortunately it sometimes means more disruption to address new impervious coverage when a natural forest would be the best option. But people want amenities and those amenities have to be accessible.

Danger-Moose t1_jech38t wrote

You didn't click the link to the project and have clearly never been to Cheswick. The complaint is mostly focused on the fact that they are ripping out pervious pavers to replace with impervious asphalt.

ImmobilizedbyCheese t1_jecotfm wrote

You are correct. I was responding to the comment that people who design projects don't understand drainage.

Dniceddave14 t1_jecjxps wrote

When was the last time you walked your dog through there? It’s been closed since March 1st.

AedenCross t1_jeb1sd8 wrote

Oh holy crap. Ive been going to that part since like the 80's. :( Edit: Oh its just for upgrades

JosefDerArbeiter t1_jeb8y2e wrote

Would you support Richmond transferring ownership of Bryan Park to Henrico County for free? I think Henrico County's citizens would benefit by that move because of all that development towards the middle of the county (Green City, VCC). Henrico also seems more primed and motivated to throw some money at improving and building new parks (see also Taylor Farm park).

Henrico gets an additional park to add to their fleet and Richmond gets to direct some of their budget towards their other parks.

Tayl44 t1_jecb68a wrote

Is this up for discussion? As a city resident, I absolutely would give it to Henrico. Henrico Parks and Libraries are awesome!

JosefDerArbeiter t1_jecklay wrote

Nope, just a thought but as a city resident I would like to see it happen too

HazesEscapes t1_jeb9yu6 wrote

Echo Lake Park may be somewhere you’re interested in checking out

LoafRVA OP t1_jeeco4x wrote

Yeah! But it’s still more than I can walk…mostly I am looking for green space within walking distance so I don’t have to put my pup in the car

HazesEscapes t1_jeejqml wrote

Gotcha. I was just thinking that would be much closer than deep run or pony pasture.

Cosmo1744 t1_jebi6ce wrote

It's supposed to reopen in January. A lot of renovations are being made to make it more nice.

justbecauseiluvthis t1_jebelxw wrote

if you're new here, they keep the plans in the basement. Bring your own lightbulb