Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

freetimerva t1_jdzmcbl wrote

Colonial Whites.

It's actually newer than the shitholes around it.

Most of the segregationists who moved there years ago migrated further west.

popeboyQ t1_jdzmlyz wrote

Oh is it really a "white" town? As in, "you had better not be caught being brown in our town" type of racist shit?

I thought those type of towns only existed in the deep south.

−5

RVAblues t1_jdzo3wa wrote

It was created as its own town when federal law made Petersburg schools integrate. The whites moved across the river and set up their own schools.

Freseper t1_jdztuml wrote

The white flight from Petersburg absolutely happened, almost doubling Colonial Heights’ population, but it was incorporated 6 years before Brown so integration couldn’t have been the only reason for its existence.

popeboyQ t1_jdzo7aa wrote

Wow, how fucked.

−1

RVAblues t1_jdzocro wrote

Yup. Scratch the surface of anything around here and there’s some effed up racist shit behind it.

Mystic-333 t1_jdzoow8 wrote

Thanks for that little history tidbit! Never knew why it carried that name.

−2

eziam t1_jdzsl7v wrote

Did you know that we had confederate monuments on a main street? We just recently took them down.

carlyslayjedsen t1_jdzyswj wrote

The Deep South is still alive and well in Virginia outside of the major metro areas. Go to Danville or Bedford and you’ll see what I mean.

−4

Horror-Antelope4256 t1_je00zwn wrote

Is there a reason you’re calling out Bedford

carlyslayjedsen t1_je04dxe wrote

I was just thinking of places outside of nova/Richmond/HR that have a Deep South feel and also have a sizeable population. Didn’t want to include Appalachia because I think it’s distinct.

Also it’s one of the towns I’ve actually been to. I’m sure south Boston is similar but I’ve never been.

−5

Baby_Beluga t1_je0i99u wrote

Talk about living in a bubble... Do you get your news from the comment sections or Twitter too?

gonefrombad t1_je0s9nh wrote

Pretty broad brush you're painting with there. African Americans are the largest demographic of both Danville and South Boston. Where else in the state would you like to ignorantly shit on next?

Calm_Butterfly3498 t1_je0jtcp wrote

I grew up around the Petersburg area back in the 80’s-90’s and the funny thing is that Colonial Heights was considered a posh area. When I go there now I have to laugh because I really believe that all the hate was the real downfall.

anonyngineer t1_je0na0h wrote

The Tri-Cities area (Petersburg, Hopewell, Colonial Heights) has some huge historical disadvantages in education, racism, environmental damage, and a limited economy (military with mostly young trainee soldiers rather than engineers/IT people and more senior soldiers).

Those issues don't disappear at the city limits of Petersburg and Hopewell.

Charlesinrichmond t1_je0wpi9 wrote

If Tom Robbins in Pretty Legs is to be believed, it's always been a dump

BureauOfBureaucrats t1_je1ajct wrote

Colonial Heights/Petersburg/Hopewell is the most depressing area I’ve ever seen. Every customer I’ve driven to/from there was having a hard day in a harder life.